DVD+R burn problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2006, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Angry DVD+R burn problems

I am having DVD burn problems, mainly writing a DVD+R with data files using Nero, in a 6 month old Philips DVD Drive (DVDR1640K/00).
In total I have burnt less 100 CD/DVDs. The drive still reads, rips and burns audio CDs.

It fails in different ways:
1. Sometimes it the ejects disc at start of burn, as if rejecting it.
2. Others it progresses and the burn fails near start, mid-point or end.
(Are there Nero error messages that I could screen grab and post?)

I am using Logik DVD+Rs suitable for x8 burning, which I am doing. I have already successfully burned ~30 of a 50 spindle, could the media be at fault?
Has the device failed? Do I return to the vendor and get a replacement?

Strangely, I had similar intermittent problems with my CDRW drive in my old PC a year or so ago, where it was very intermittent, and worked best for a while when the PC had just been started from a long period of rest, i.e. cold. So I assume when a drive plays up like this it has come to the end of its life, is this so?

As advised by Philips I have uninstalled Nero, rebooted, re-installed Nero, and rebooted. Firmware had just been upgraded during problems.

Also, when a blank disc (CD or DVD) is inserted into the drive, should this be visible in Explorer?

Hope somebody can assist as I am getting severely hacked off with this drive, especially as I keep ruining blank DVDs during testing.
Apologies for the length of this………please answer as many of the questions above.

AMD Phenom II X4 965, Mobo: Biostar A880G+ c/w onboard Graphics & Sound, RAM: 8Gb DDR2, HDDs 2+2+4Tb, Monitor 24"
Using: Win10 64bit with Trend Micro TMS
Old 02-01-2006, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I had some issues with the media in my burner. I figured out that the fuji dvd-r or cd-r work flawlessly. I dont rec u buy anything but good quality fuji discs. I tried sony too and had problems. Go buy one and see if you still have the problem....good luck.

I have a lg burner 4163.

P4 3.2
Old 02-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Kazou

does the burning by any chance seem extremely slow?.......it may be that your burner is in pio mode.......or........bad media could also be the issue, i had both.........wasted a lot of dvd rs that way man.....good luck
Closed Thread