DVD Problem: Burns but wont Play Correctly. Driver Error also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsee

Beta member
I am not sure how to solve this problem and I would rather try to fix it myself than take it somewhere. Here is my dilema:

The other day I turned my computer on. The tower was running and during this time I decided to plug in my phone cord. Big mistake. I tilted the tower forward and all of a sudden I heard this chopping noise. It sounded like a cord was stuck in the fan (I have two fans in the back of the computer, I believe). So I quickly turned the computer off and when I did the noise went away. Yes, I should have plugged the phone cord in when it wasn't running, but I make a mistake and now I have enountered these problems:

After the error, I restarted my computer and it would freeze just before it took me to the Log On Unername Screen (PC computer). So after a few retries I was able to normally use the computer and there havent been anymore problems with that since....BUT then I tried to burn a cd to make a backup of some of my files to be safe and it did not recognize either of my cd/dvd rom drives D and E. So I opened the computer and checked for any loose cables/plugs (little to no experience in this area besides installing an internal 3.5 disk drive years ago). I turned back on the computer, and it read the D and E drives. YAY.
BUT then one night while playing a DVD I ran into a problem. Very choppy audio and video. This occurned in the bottom drive that also functions as a burner. I tested out the other cd/dvd drive and all was fine. Okay so then I experiment and try to burn a dvd and it works perfectly fine. Bottom Line: So I can still burn but not play dvd's or cd's without audio and visual choppyness. I don't get it? At first I thought maybe it was because I needed to reinstall firmware/patch, so I do that but nothing. I also did a System Restore to a month before and no luck. A computer support guy for dell said that sometimes if you install new programs it can effect the drive for some odd reason, and to do the restore. In the past when my audio/vido gets choppy I have done the restore and it does the trick. Not this time. But I am pretty sure that the problem lies with when I tried to plug in the phone cord and messed something up. I am thinking of opening back up the computer but am seeking advice from more knowledgeable sources. There is a wire that runs into a hole that leads to the bottom fan, and it looks like it somehow may be connected to the bottom dvdburner drive. I havent tampered with that yet.

Also when I start the computer, for about a second, the computer says "diskette drive 0 seek failure". It took 3 boots to be able to read the error message because it goes so fast.

I am open to any suggestions or comments. I have a dell dimension 4600 and the driver is a nd 1100-a dvd+rw. I am just confused as to why it can burn okay but not play any discs properly.

Thanks for looking at my question. I appreciate. -Lindsee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom