DVD or Motherboard problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertNoir

Beta member
Hello, I have an Aopen DUW 1608/12x DVD/RW drive. It has always been slow to start, which seems like a motherboard problem because my CD drive is the same but was ok in another computer. But now, sometimes, the drive doesn't find the disk. It asks for the disk to be inserted. When I click on the DVD/RW drive symbol in My Computer and click on explore, for example, the symbol now says the drive is a CD Drive and explore shows that the DVD is empty. If I restart the computer it may correct the problem or if I put another DVD or CD in the drive and open it and then replace the DVD that didn't work it may now work. Is this part of a motherboard problem. I don't what technical info is relevant but the system has an AMD XP Athlon 2800+ with 512 RAM an Abit NF7S2 Motherboard. Windows XP SP2.Thanks for your help. Bert

When you look in windows explorer do you see 2 DVD drives ?
How does the dvd do as far as burning dvd's ? I think that it might be the drivers for the dvd as opposed to the mainboard. Do you have the dvd on the primary or secondary IDE port ?
I had something like this happen with a DVD drive. I installed a trial ver of Gear's dvd burner then removed the program. Apparently the program replaced some of my DVD drivers, which was evident when I went to control panel \ system \ hardware \ devices right clicked my dvd drive and selected properties, then drivers tab, then driver details. When I scrolled down there was a driver called something like gearaspi.sys. Gear claims other programs use this driver . Thats why I asked about the 2 DVDs in windows explorer, I had 2 dvd players, and there were a lot of simularities with yours and what mine did plus mine would not burn DVDs. I think the uninstall program removes some of the reg stuff and leaves the drivers behind...anyway they gave me a link to DL a program ( actually 2 progs, the driver one is the one) that just reinstalls all the dvd drivers including the gearaspi, I think it also corrects the registry also. If you can not get yous to work try DL the their drivers may work or make it even worst
I think it was this one

ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/updates/windows/drivers/Driver_Installer.exe

make sure you get the whole URL and rember I have no idea if it will work or not... if you try copy and paste into your browser

I did not mention that running their program in the link corrected all that was wrong and the dvd started to work again, the strange part was the cd worked perfectly, thats why I asked about the cd working, ,,,then you did a complete install of windows ? so you should have a clean install.... try clearing cmos, I have seen older Dell Demensions have secondary IDE ports that did not work or were flakey that a cmos clear took care of. Did you install your chip set software, even though looks like XP installed completely you should go to the mainboards web site and seeif they have mainboard drivers or any updates. If your DVD is on the main IDE move it to the secondary IDE. Try going to devices in control panel..in system and delete your dvd and reboot.

Tractor Boy, In Windows Explorer I see DVD/RW and CD drives but when I try to explore the disk in DVD/RW drive it changes to a CD drive and shows a blank disk. I have the DVD drive as the primary IDE device (the HD is SATA) which is what the drive manufacture recommended. I will try your suggestions and make it the secodary IDE device and deleting it and rebooting. The driver being used by the DVD drive is a Windows Driver (C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdrom.sys.) There isn't a manufacturers driver as far as I know. Thanks for your help.

Eric B, it is in DMA mode. Thanks a lot.

Also check the jumper on your CD DVD drive, there are 3 or 4 choices 1 master 2 slave 3 cs ( cable select ) and I have seen a fourth ...4 DMA.. On IDE whatever you have as the master will dictate the bus speed, so always have your fastest device as master. If only one device has to be master or CS. You actually have to look on the back of the drive to see which position is what.

so if you click start / settings / control panel /system / hardware / devices click " + " next to DVD CD Drives
highlight you DVD drive , right click on dvd drive , click properties
then the drivers tab, then driver details, you can not scroll down in the box at the bottom ? ...or nothing listed ?

did you try deleting the dvd drive after click + next to DVD CD
HILIGHT DVD and delete...reboot , or click on your computer name at the top then click on action, then rescan for changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom