DVD & DVDrw Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default DVD & DVDrw Problems

I built a new computer about 6 months ago and all was well until recently. My DVD-ROM drive decided to only read discs half the time. As well as playing the sound from DVDs but no video!

I thought my DVD-ROM drive was bad so I ordered a Lite-On DVD-RW drive. Now I have a similar problem with this drive as well. I cannot burn... it starts and about half way through it says it can't complete the disk.

I also noticed that the "auto-play" function decided to not work for my DVD ROM or DVDRW. I asked a geek squad guy about it and he said to replace the IDE cable. I did that and still no luck. I currently have the DVD ROM and primary and the RW as slave. I am not sure what to do, I have tried both of them independently from eachother as well.

PLEASE HELP! I am so fustrated

Old 03-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Have you installed any games with starforce copy protection. I know this is messing up many drives. Just a thought.....

Old 03-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Not that I know of! I thought it was possibly a codec problem as well, but I got rid of all of those to be sure and still no dice.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I had two drives go out in my system about a year ago one DVD burner and one CD burner within one week. The DVD burner was an external I never did find out what it was but neither would work even in another computer. You could try a firmware update from the vendor website.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

C'mon... Someone's gotta know a way to help me out? I'm hoping it is something fixable....

Is there anychance the port on the moboard is bad or something? Device power cables? I need ideas guys! Please help! I can't live w/o my drives!
Closed Thread