DVD Drive won't open!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
I just got my CD/DVD combo drive and DVD writer today.

I put them both in, screwed them in properly, plugged an IDE cable into both, and also a 12v molex connector. The DVD writer opens when the computer is switched on, but the DVD rom doesn't. When I take the IDE cable out of it however, it does. The DVD rom is set to master, and the writer is set to slave if that helps anyone figure out how to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Are you hitting the eject button on the drive, or are you trying to eject it through Windows explorer (or something similar) by right click > Eject ? I had a similar issue with an old drive that wouldn't eject through windows, but the button worked. Hope that helps.

You could use a paperclip and push the 'emergency eject' button. It is that small hole, usually near the activity light on the face of the drive.

I don't have a CD inside, so I don't need to use an emergency eject or anything. It doesn't have Windows on it yet, seeing as I'm still waiting for the RAM (stupid public holidays, no postage). I don't think it's mechanical, it's just... weird. It ejects fine when I press the button without the IDE cable in it, but when I put it in, it doesn't.

Cyrax doesn't have RAM yet so he can't read BIOS information...

Maybe it's because you don't have your RAM yet. Some functions may not work. I'm not sure, but I'm just trying to help.

Yeah, thanks KorKwin, that's what I was thinking.

I'll see if it works when I get the RAM hopefully on Tueday or Wednesday, and I'll post back here if it doesn't. Fingers crossed, it does.

Does it work with just one drive connected? I always say start with the bare minimum then work your way up. Espcially with a new build where so many issues can occur :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom