DVD Drive not working after new harddrive installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dearnr

Beta member
Dear All,

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to have a look at this post and hope someone can help me with it.

I have a new PC that I have fitted with a 2nd SATA drive.
This went fine and I thought everything was okay.

I then noticed that neither of my DVD drives were working.
I have looked as much as I can and can now only get one to be recognised either in BIOS or Windows.

On te cable label Drive 0 I have my burner and on label Drive 1 I have a reader. I put them both on cable select and neither worked. I then took out the reader and had the burner on cable select and this worked fine. I then tried the reader on slave and master but neither worked.

There are only 2 connectionson this cable as the SATA harddrives run from different cables.

Any ideas?

First, try not using cable select. jumper the DVDrw as the master at the end of the IDE cable and the other as slave. Make sure they are connected to IDE secondary channel and use Ultra DMA 80 wire cable. If it still fails, go into device manager from system in control panal and find the secondary IDE channel and delete it. Don't worry, after you reboot the system will find the channel and rename the dvd drives. If that doesn't work we're are going to have to remove the upper and lower filters in the registry but not yet. Try that first an see what happens.

Many thanks for the replies and will try this as soon as i get home.

Both have the drives have power as the lights come on and I can eject them.

I just tried the deleting of the secondary IDE channel.
When I loaded XP it installed the secondary IDE channel but couldnt find the dvd drive

Its working now.
It seems that one of the pins on the connector for the motheboard was bent so couldnt connect.

Thanks for your suggestions though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom