DVD Drive not recognising DVD disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kego6k

Beta member
My ASUS DRW-0804P or MS CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device (from device manage, both under DVD/CD-ROM drives), which reads and writes both CD and DVDs doesn't seem to read or write DVD disks anymore. That includes previous DVDs that used to to work, after you write on a blank DVD - it finishes burning and it becomes a blank, unusable or other computer disk. However, reading and writing CDs are fine.

When I put in any DVD, there's the normal reading noise and the lights flash, I then click on the drive shortcut and it loads, it then becomes blank. Like there's nothing in the drive and it stops reading, even if I leave it in there. I believe StarForce from a couple of TrackMania games are the culprit, but it has already been removed and still does not work. Also I've tried one of those laser lens cleaners that somebody suggested but it doesn't work.

Please help me,
Kego

Also one of the front 2 usb ports doesn't work, it doesn't detect anything - any suggestions?

I can provide additional information if you require, but tell me where to get it. Also I've searched google, it just comes up with pages that have the same-ish problem that are unresolved.

I also tried the trouble shoot option, went through it and it said it couldn't find a solution.

Try updating the firmware of the drive, even if it says it is the current version. it can become corrupted. I just had to do this with my burner.

Unless a wire has become loose, the USB port may have just up and died. They can do this... I think it is the rulebook or something. Many front USB ports aren't made that great anyway, and they tend to see a lot more use. I use a USB hub myself (my case doesn't have any front USB, and I ahve a blowhole where the top ones should be).

Bios? Upper lower whaa? Kay, I'm computer illiterate and was told not to screw with that mumbo jumbo and registry :)
I guess the usb part doesn't really matter.... Oh and I've had this problem for awhile, just that it's the holidays and could finally be stuffed posting it. Almost forgot, my computer's about 6 years old :) But I like it, and don't plan to change - even though I can get a better computer anyday from my parents or pay myself...

If that is the case :

Open regedit. (start > run > regedit)
and Navigate to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cláss\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

and delete the lower and upper values, and it should work fine, if you need help more, gimme a shout.

Nope, I haven't installed Itunes, but apparently the version of StarForce anti protection and/or SecuROM messed with my drives - they came from game demos >.>

Should I still do the regedit even if I don't have itunes? Oh and sorry for the late reply, my internet was capped so I cbf going on during that time.

Follow the fairly vague instructions given by Typhoon, and remove the upper and lower filter values.

Also, Typhoon - upper and lower filter values are registry entries, stored in the registry. Not the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom