DVD drive malfunctioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicide007

In Runtime
A few days ago, I logged onto my computer and decided to play some COD4. I put the cd in the drive, waited for the autorun, and it never came. So, i just clicked the little icon in my desktop, and it gave me an error message saying the cd wasn't there.

I opened My Computer, and the only drives that came up were my two hard drives, it would not even acknowledge the existence of my DVD drive. I restarted, and it still was not there. I restarted again, and saw that it came up in my bios, but Vista refuses to recognize it.

So, I did a system restore with a restore point from like 2 days ago (I had used my DVD drive since then) and nothing happened. I did another restore to a point like a week ago and it worked...kinda. Now, I can see my DVD drive in my computer, and the little disc logo icon even comes up, and i can right-click the drive and explore it, but it gives me some error code, but it still lets me explore it.

But, any time i try to transfer data from the dvd drive to my hard drive, it freezes my computer. Its pretty darn frustrating. For instance, when i put in any cd, i can explore it, and it lets me see all the files on the cd, and i can even navigate through folders and sub-folders, but i cannot transfer any of the data to my computer, nor can i run instillation wizards or anything at all.

I think now I'm going to try and replace the sata cable, and if that doesn't work, I'm just going to kick my computer a few times and see where that gets me. Or maybe find a new DVD drive.

O, one more thing, i installed pinnacle 10.something a few days ago (it might have been the last successful time i used the DVD drive), and now every time i start Vista it tells me that InstantWrite DVD has stopped working. That's probably important. I might have to uninstall Pinnacle. I'll try that. Any other suggestions?

Yep try uninstalling Pinnacle, also get into device manager and uninstall the driver for the dvd drive and reinstall it. Also a firmware upgrade maybe? If that doesn't fix it you could just get another one. They are pretty cheap now days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom