DVD drive does not recognize blank DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cas146

Solid State Member
A few days ago I tried to burn a DVD. However, when I inserted a blank DVD it says "F:\ is not accessible Incorrect function". I've burn DVD's in the past so I was suprised. The DVD drive could still read regular CD-ROM, and DVD movies, and games. I figured that the DVD drive was too old so I figure I would get a new one. So I got a SAMSUNG DVD burnet model: SH-S162L. So when I got it and installed it I still have the smae problem.

I'm completlely lost. I don't know what could be the problem. Does anyone have a clue? Here are my specs:

MoBo-- Asus A8V Deluxe
OS-- Windows XP Pro SP2
RAM-- 1Gig
HD-- 250Gig Hitachi

Thanks,

I have a Samsung DVD-ROM that doesn't READ dvd's, only CD's.

My guess is that Samsung released a new firmware update that people have to get to resolve the issue.

I dunno I would think that the Samsung DVD-RW would not encounter such problems. Even so I got the latest firmware from Samsung. And I had that same problme with my old DVD-RW and its was a Lite-On brand.

If a firmware update wont help then go into your device manager and uninstall your dvd drive then restart your computer and let windows reinstall the drivers and see if that helps.

1) I tried the unistallation and I was able to play DVD movies for a while but half way through a movie it stalled.

2) It can't be the media I tried blank Sony brand DVD+R and a blank Lite-On DVD-R.

Any ideas?

No I have not touch the jumpers since I got the computer and back then the DVD-burner was working correctly. I dunno about the IDE cable I tested the the new and old DVD burner on another desktop and it would it work. Do guys beleive that I got a bad DVD burner from the store? But what are the odds that they would have the same problems.

Can you see the blank DVD's through a third-party burning program like Nero or Roxio?

Windows Explorer tends to whine and moan when it sees blank DVD's.

If you have the burners on the same IDE channel make sure you have your jumpers set correctly (one master and the other slave.) Try a different IDE cable. If it still does the same thing with a new cable, I think it might be your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom