DVD Drive Dissapearing Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

himynameisphil

Beta member
windows has decided to to find my dvd drive anymore.

it still shows up in device manager but has a yellow circle with black ! mark on it and has the message:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

the computer is pretty new and i formatted it just yesterday and installed everything fine from the dvd drive then this morning after nothing changed it cant find the drive anymore

it happened the other day and formatting the pc fixed it for 1 day but now its back. i have recently got broadband and a wireless network card installed and thought this may have something to do with it but im not so sure anymore as it was all working perfectly yesterday.

my pc spec is:
Windows XP 64-Bit
Amd 64 X2 3800+
2gb RAM
nVidia 7900 GS
Abit KN9 SLI
Sitecom turbo g WL-171 Wireless PCI card
Sony DVD RW AW-G170A

Microsoft say this:

Code 39
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Recommended resolution

Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupted; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

That's probably not going to help, but it's the first thing to try...

You could try this too:

Start Registry Editor (Start, Run and type in regedit then click)

Find "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" (and "UpperFilters.bak" "LowerFilters.bak", if they exist) value under the following key in the registry, and delete it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Quit Registry Editor.

Reboot.

NOTE: You might need to reinstall any CD recording apps you have, if they start to not work completely, after doing this.

you are now, officially: "person of the day"

the upper/lower filters thing worked.

thankyou, i was about ready to throw my pc in the bin ive had so much trouble with it

could you possibly tell me why that worked? what those reg entries are?

i like to know exactly whats goin on with my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom