DVD Drive connection to Power supply broke.. where can i get a new 4 pronged one? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default DVD Drive connection to Power supply broke.. where can i get a new 4 pronged one?

I don't even know what I'm looking for.. the name of it rather..

The connection from my power supply to my dvdrw looked like.. a rectangle with outlets for 4 prongs, on BOTH sides. The connection for it is 4 prongs on my PS and my dvdrw. Anyone know where I can go out and buy a new one of these?

If not I don't really mind buying a new drive all together, as long as it has that type of connection..

also question: if i buy a blueray drive will it still be able to install games that are on dvd's and what not?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: DVD Drive connection to Power supply broke.. where can i get a new 4 pronged one?

something like that?
if it is, then there should be more from your PSU, usually there's like 5 or 6 because that connector is what powers optical drives and hard drives.

and if you buy a blu-ray drive, make sure that it isn't only blu-ray and is also a dvd/cd writer, which i assume 99.9% of all blu-ray drives are. so yes.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: DVD Drive connection to Power supply broke.. where can i get a new 4 pronged one?

It looks something like that. however the wires in my PC are very limited, I only have what i need in there. My hard drive does not need one of those,, actually nothing does. I cut the wire by accident (long story) and I need a new one..

Do you know the name of what you just showed me and if one of those will come with a new drive i buy? with the outlets on both ends, not prongs

edit:

Cables To Go 6-Inch 5.25 Internal Power Y-Cable 03166 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

will something like that work? thing is, I don't need the middle part, but will that stop it from working? Or can i just use the two ends to connect my dvdrw to my PS?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

well you need to be able to get power to it from the PSU. You need to get a converter. Do you have any excess cables from your psu that you aren't using?
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
I know things...

Are you saying your power supply has a male 4 pin socket just like your cd drive and you only have one cable with 2 female ends that goes from power supply to cd drive?

I've only ever seen hard wired power supplies.

BEER, is it in you?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

No, i do not have any cables.

Yes that's what i'm saying. I need a cable to hook it up.. Ive seen many dvd drives with the same thing..

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/phot...03459_8226.jpg

took that photo on my blackberry, thats what it looks like, my dvdrw plughed into there, and my my dvdrw had the same outlet on it, 4 pins.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Hello,

You will need a splitter piece. This will use a current molex and give you a split plugin to use for the drive.

It will look like this:

This will allow you to take a current molex from one of your other devices and split it to the 2 devices.

Cheers,
Mak

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread