DVD/CD drive stopped working on my Inspiron 9200

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptymush

Solid State Member
Hello again,
I could really use some help with my CD/DVD burner. I have an Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop which has a DVD+ReWritable\CD drive. The drive works in the sense that I can insert a CD and it will read it, same with a dvd. In some cases I have to reboot for it to acknowledge that there is a disk present, but that isn't too big of a problem. The PC is roughly a year and a half old, which isn't too old, and for some reason, over the last 6 months I haven't been able to get it to burn CD's, DVD's, or Dual layered DVD's. None of them work. And I've tried Alcohol 120%, Nero 6 [prior to upgrading to Nero 7] and still no luck. as this is the only disk drive I have on my PC, I am in a bit of a jam as to getting it working. I've tried re-installing firmware and such from the factory setting and resource CD's that Dell sent me, and no luck. Can anyone help me to get this working? If so, I'd really REALLY appreciate it. I'm willing to buy software if necessary, though I'd prefer to find an inexpensive way of fixing this drive. If you need anymore info on it, I'm sure that I can find some paperwork or such and provide you with whatever info I have on it. Thanks in advance, you really are a life saver [supposing that you can help]!

is there any way you can put that drive in another comp or put another comps drive in your pc to see if it works, mabey a friends ? also but a cleaning disk one with the little brushes that cleans the lense thats worth a try. often times thes drives do die though and there isnt much you can do about it but try some of those sollutions first. also when did it begin to do this any perticular system change?

um, as it's a laptop there isn't really anyway to just switch it out [at least not that I can do here] and since I've owned it I've been unable to burn a DVD with it. as for the CD burning part of it, it stopped working about 6 months back. I don't recall any particular system changes, but maybe. Would a drive die after a year with little to no use for burning? And it still works for reading CD's and DVD's.

Go here http://dsn.us.dell.com/DSNCR/DSNGateway and type in cd/dvd and follow the first link. It will tell you how do some really useful things in getting your drive to work and it will even tell you if your drive needs to be replaced and if it does it will give you a code and you can give it to dell and as long as your under warranty they can replace it

That link isn't working, could you supply a working one? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom