DVD burner recognized as CD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

infowarrior45

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

OK, here is my problem. It's really frustrating...and yes I am building new PC, but I need to get this one working as I will keep using it for other things.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400, it's about 5-6 yrs old. It came with a really cheap NEC DVD burner (ND-1100A) in it. It has ruined quite a few DVDs, but I didn't really mind that much.

Anyways, I haven't had the need to use the DVD burner in it for quite some time, so I can't say when this started, but here is my main problem. When I put in a perfectly good blank writable DVD+R into it, AutoPlay comes up and says it is a CD! When I go into My Computer, it says CD Drive. When I take the DVD out, My Computer then shows it as a DVD drive.

So I picked up a new LG GH22NP20 DVD burner, installed it as the master...I kept my old DVD burner hooked up as the slave. For one night, the new one did show up as a DVD burner even when I put a blank DVD in. I was able to burn a DVD. Not for long though. I am back to the same thing now. Both drives show up as CD drives whenever I put a blank DVD them. I have tried different brand name DVDs as well. Neither drive has any problem reading DVDs. Device Manager of course shows them both as DVD drives, and it give the correct information on them.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
infowarrior45

What OS? Have you tried to remove the drives from the Device Manager and then restart and have Windows reinstall the devices?

Could be that one issue, where you have to go to the drive properties in the device manager, go to one of the tabs and check off "allow this drive to burn disks" or something? I can't remember the exact way to go about it.

I am using XP SP3. I have tried uninstalling the drives and restarting Windows multiple times, but this does not work.

I put in a brand new IDE cable...no luck. I have tried going into My Computer, right click the drive, drive properties, recording tab, check enable CD recording on this drive. Same thing.

I tried setting the drive jumpers to slave and master...same thing. I put them back on cable select now.

Does this seem to be a software (XP OS) problem, or could it be the motherboard? I know it is not the drives themselves...the newest one is perfectly good.

Thanks,
infowarrior

Try the old "Upperfilters" trick:

Microsoft Windows XP

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
10. Exit Registry Editor.
11. Restart the computer.

From here: Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

b0dge,

I just tried that, and that doesn't work either. The computer does recognize the drive, but it does not recognize it correctly.

Hmmm. Any other suggestions? Where do you think the problem is originating?

Thanks,
infowarrior45

Does the BIOS recognize it as a DVD Burner? Does the BIOS give the correct description for the device. If the BIOS is reporting it as a DVD ROM and not a DVD Burner then there is a issue with the drive itself and not the system.

If the BIOS sees it as a DVD Burner and it is just Windows then it could be you need to update your system drivers. Chipset and any others that would be located on the manufacturers website.

Hi Mak,

BIOS reconizes them as CD-ROM devices. Hmmm. I believe it showed this when I first installed the new drive...I can't remember. It actually worked that day, though.

I really think the drive is OK. I just got it as an OEM drive from Newegg. I think my old drive is OK too. I have all the latest drivers for my computer. If the drive never worked, then I would be suspicious, but it did work the first day that I installed it. I only tried it once that day.

Thanks,
infowarrior45

Do you have any Drive Emulation softwares installed, such as, Daemon tools or something like that? I heard those virtual drives can screw with your physical drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom