DVD burner don't read discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're right, though he did say the drive works in his friends comp. perhaps we both need to pay more attention :)

very strange, I take it you've tried attaching the burner to a connector you know is good, i.e. that you have one of your hdds connected to? if so then i guss it mush be a mobo/bios thing. very odd.

what motherboard are your using? i'm not sure you've mentioned. It must be fairly old if your running a PIII, coppermine is it?

Hey, I was out for some days.

I'm sure the connectors are fine, cause I used connectors which were in use (HD's CD-ROM's).

What makes me crazy is that I can't see the reason for that bogus behavior that DVD burner is connected to the working channels, properly configured, and it refuses to read disks (as I said, it sometimes does read CDs but never DVDs), while it does read EVERYTHING while connected to another PC (newer one, mentioned above).

nitestick, it isn't the PSU issue, cause as I said in previous post, I tryed it with all power consuming devices disconnected, and it didn't help.

The mobo version remains open though. I have some unanimous motherboard with VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133 chipset.

So any ideas about something maybe in BIOS that prevents DVD drive (and only DVD drive) from working while other drives are fine?
Or maby it have some special bandwidth demands? Or anything else?

No, never. It is stock, except some settings that I changed: FSB overclock from 100 to 112 Mhz, and also set RAM cycle length from 3 to 2 and it's latency to "turbo" instead of "normal".

I'm gonna try to connect it to my cousin's old PC (Pentium 1) in a few days, and see what will be results.

And to make some absolute conclusion about power, I'll also take it's PSU then and try to use it for burner only, on my PC.

Hi. So, today I connected the burner to the pentium 1 mentioned above, and..... it surprisingly worked! Some PC, with 32 MB of memory and CPU (133Mhz) that don't even has a fan, runs it perfectly, while my much upgraded for it's age P3 doesn't!

Than I took it's 250 watt, old, power supply unit out, and connected it as a separate power source for the burner on my PC. And finally it WORKED!!!

Nitestick, you really deserve respect on this one. While you mentioned PSU for the first time, I tried disconnecting 2 hard discs, one CD burner and 2 big fans, what theoreticaly should release much more power for the burner, and it didn't work, I was prety sure the PSU isn't the problem. But you insisted on it, and was right.
It seems like DVD's laser is very power consuming thing, so the drive tryed to activate it and kept failing all the time what appeared from external point of view as it "lost a track".

Anyway, now I need a new power supply. But since I plan to buy a new PC (finally!) in about 6 months, I'll probably will try to save the money and find some old PSU and connect it the way I did today. It will be a bit messy to turn on another PSU for the drive everytime PC starts, but maby it is a way to start 2 PSUs with a single button, but I'll keep it for another topic once I find a PSU.

And thanks to everyone for assistance!!! As long as Tech-Forums exists there is no need for PC technicians.

-AndreiD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom