DVD Burner Disappearing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question DVD Burner Disappearing

Hey guys,
I have 2 dvd burners and just today got my NEC burner from newegg, thinking a new one would fix the problem, but within an hour it has happened again. I noticed this problem when I open DVDShrink3.2 and try to backup a dvd.

PROBLEM: I open the dvd just fine and go to back it up, but once in awhile the computer doesn't recognize that I have a DVDRW. Now I have tried a total of 3 DVDRWs and they all work fine once in awhile, but sometimes they don't. When I look under My Computer to see what's up, it is labeled "CD-Drive (E." Now I've tried restarting and that never helps. Once in awhile I'll come back after class or try it a day or two later and it'll work, but it's really frustrating because it is unpredictable.

The thing is, I have over 250 DVDs that I successfully have backed up with this setup, so it's not like it has never worked for me. Also, I have not done any recent changes to my computer to cause this, although it has been happening on and off for about a half of a year.

If anyone has any ideas of what I can do to fix this please let me know. Thanks!

Old 09-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

psu would be the likely culprit. can you still use the drive for other things once this happens. anyway if you have too many optical drives and the psu isn't powerful enough they can stop working while the computer is running

Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have a 350watt PSU right now (came with the case). I'm a college student so i have a low budget, but I also play BF2 maybe 2hrs/week, so I don't want a POS psu either.

Just to be more clear to ensure this is the problem... ONLY under My Computer does it say it is a CD-Drive. When I go under Device Manager, it does say I have a DVDRW and nothing is wrong with it. It also said I have the most updated driver for it, too.

If it still is my PSU, how do I go about making sure it will be compatible with my current setup (especially my motherboard and all of the plugs it has going to the psu). I typically order from newegg, unless there's a cheaper deal, but i found this PSU for 65$ shipped http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148008

Would this be a good answer to my problems? I like the fan speed adjustability.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Closed Thread