What anarchon meant was, we need to know what brand is your CD burner; which Windows; which drivers; etc. This is all necessary info for us to understand your system.
You said that you went into the device manager. Did you delete the drivers for the DVD/CD-ROM drives and then reboot. Windows will then detect new devices and install the drivers or ask for the CD with the drivers.
Also, check the manufacturer's website for updated firmware.
You can try a free CD/DVD burner called "CDBurner XP Pro"; not related to M$. Run a search for it in Google. It might help.
- COOLER MASTER Wave Master TAC-T01-E1C Silver Case
- DFI LanpartyUT nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS = latest)
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz HT 2 x 1MB L2 Cache
- OCZ 2GB (2 X 1024) DDR (500) PC-4000 EL Gold Gamer Ext. XTC (OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K)
- OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI ATX, BTX, EPS12V 520W
- XFX Geforce 7900 GTX 512MB (665/1630)
- HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 80GB 3.5\" SATA 3.0Gb/s x 2 (RAID)