Dual Screens. One not working. New System. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Lightbulb Dual Screens. One not working. New System.

I just recently built a new pc here are the specs.
  • AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T 2.8GHz
  • ASUS EAH5850-DCU-2DIS-1GD5 1GB

I have plugged my 1st monitor into the Asus 5850 graphics card via DVI and my 2nd monitor into the motherboard via VGA cable. The 1st monitor is the only one that display's. I have checked through the Asus and Windows utilities to try and detect the 2nd monitor but to no avail.

Hope there is enough information.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via MSN to Desolation
Default Re: Dual Screens. One not working. New System.

if your trying to use the on-board and the 5850 you have to go into bios and tell it to allow your on-board to work along side your 5850.

Here is what ya gotta do you gotta go into bios and go to the pane that's says advanced then scroll down to either chip set or on-board devices and find internal graphics configuration and there should be and option to enable a surround mode.

but it would just be easier to get and adapter and run your second monitor off one of the 5850 other ports looks like you'll need a hdmi to dvi adapter

also how many inputs does you monitor have

Amd Phenom 2 955 3.9 ghz
Corsair Dominator 1700 mhz
amd SAPPHIRE 6870
HAF 932 Full Tower
Corsair TX950W PSU
Windows 7 X64
[SIGPIC]http://www.techist.com/pc/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=70112&dateline=128146 3255[/SIGPIC]
Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't hook your monitor to the internal port, it's not accelerated and even if you did enable it the performance wouldn't be good. If your card has 2 DVI ports you can use a DVI to VGA plug (my 5870 came with one). You can also swap your DVI cord for a DVI to HDMI cord if you're out of DVI ports (use the HDMI port to connect your DVI monitor, DVI port for your VGA monitor). If you have a DisplayPort you can use a DP to VGA adapter ($25) which uses an active converter chip to produce clear VGA signals.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The Asus 5850 has one dvi port and a hdmi. I ended up getting a dvi - hdmi converter and that is working correctly with both screens running through the graphics card. Also my screens only have DVI and VGA inputs.
Closed Thread