Dual Monitor question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Dual Monitor question

hey everyone, just got a quick question for ya'll. We are trying to setup a dual monitor display at school and we have run into a little problem. We have put in two video cards, one AGP (a geforce2 mx400, I believe and one PCI (some sort of S3 card). The problem is that whenever one of the cards is in there by itself, the computer can read it no problem, but if they are both in there together the PC only sees the AGP card. If anyone has some tip to this I'd would be greatly appericated.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

You need to set your PC to boot with the PCI video card not the AGP video card. What I mean by this is install both the AGP and PCI card then enter your BIOS setup and find the option Init Display First (may be called something different depending your motherboard) and select PCI. Then save your settings and exit. Now your PCÂ’s boot screen should be displayed on the monitor hooked up to the PCI video card only but from within Windows display properties you should be able to see an extra monitor to enable. If this did not work then one of your video cards may not be able to be used in a dual video card environment or it could just be your version of Windows. I would recommend using nVidia or ATI video cards and Windows 2000 or XP.
Closed Thread