Dual Core Processor, Only One Showing Up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
Ok, I want to start off by saying that I do have a dual core processor. About a year ago or so I bought a new, larger hard drive. After installing it I wanted to move everything over to new hard drive from my old one and use my old hard drive as extra storage if I needed to. I wanted Windows to boot from the new hard drive and have everything run off of it. With that in mind I used a cloning program to clone my old hard drive. That seemed to work fine for awhile and then something came up that resulted in me needing to do a system restore or recovery. I cannot remember which.

Anyhow, after doing so it seemed to have reverted back to having Windows run from the old hard drive. I figured in the end it wasn't worth the hassle so I just began moving files over to the new hard drive and installing programs onto it. Something I should have merely done from the get go. Anyhow, before the system restore I noticed in task manager that I could set affinity to one of the cores...afterwards I noticed that option had disappeared. At the time I read that the option might not be available. So I thought nothing of it.

That is until last night when something prompted me to check my computer out a bit. I found that in the performance tab of task manager, it was showing only one core. I have the option One Graph Per CPU enabled. In addition I used CPU-Z to check and it says I have 1 core and will not let me select between the processors. In addition Core Temp indicates I have just one core.

My motherboard and cpu are below:
Motherboard
CPU

I have attached my DxDiag. It appears my best solution would be to back up my data I value on my old hard drive, reformat it and reinstall Windows. I wanted to find out if anyone had any other suggestions or ideas first. Thanks again! I definitely have learned my lesson regarding cloning drives...I either shouldn't do it or definitely need to read a lot more about it.

Attachments

• DxDiag.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 1
CPU-Z won't let you do that.. it only counts Physical cores in that selection box.. What you need to care about is the thing that says cores or threads next to that box.

But it sounds like you need to flash the BIOS to the latest version available.

Each of the boxes say 1. Here let me just attach a picture... I also guess I forgot to mention I think I updated my BIOS...perhaps I was wrong when I thought I did. Gigabyte has a program called @BIOS and I am fairly certain I updated it to the latest version.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.zip
    36.2 KB · Views: 56
If that doesn't work, go into your BIOS and see if you can find a thing that resets everything to its original settings or something like that.

I guess one of your cores got disabled in the BIOS

Should I load optimized defaults or look for another option to reset the BIOS? In addition...I don't see a place in my BIOS to enable/disable a core. Also, I don't believe I saw an option within the BIOS regarding my cores, grayed out or otherwise. I am converting a video file at the moment. As soon as that finishes I will update my BIOS via @BIOS and see what happens.

Optimized Defaults is the one... (don't get that confused with Fail-safe defaults :))

I will not...in fact that was the other one I was thinking of. So, what exactly do Fail Safe defaults do then?

Well, I have used @BIOS to update my BIOS, restarted computer, went into BIOS settings and load optimized defaults. Second core is still not showing up. I know the hardware can recognize two cores because it did before the cloning and system restore.

I have also noticed that when I go to device manager and look at the computer section there is no mention of: ACPI Multiprocessor HAL...which seems to be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom