Dual Channel Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacey9

Baseband Member
Hi all
I have a new system built and it all works fine apart from the Dual channel ram that i have. The problem is if i have the 2 identical sticks in the orange slots it reboots after a while. i have tried in the yellow slots too but same problem.
I have also tried one in yellow and one in orange and it is still unstable but not as bad. I then tried 1 stick in orange slot and seems to be stable.

So my pc doesnt like dual channel but apparently my MB can take it etc.

I have a
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

and

G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit

If you have any clues why i cant use dual channel i would be most appreciative.

could be a timings issue , or some bug in the bios , do you have the latest bios? also its possible you got 1 bad stick

well i have just used memtest on one of the sticks and 100's of errors came up so i think i answered my question

remember, memtest errors only mean the ram is unstable it doesnt have to mean the stick/s are bad,usally unstable ram is caused by

1) too tight timings (for example if original timings are 3-3-3-6 and you put em to 2.5-3-3-6,they might not handle it or at least not with current voltage , also when having non identical sticks with diffrent timings you need to find the optimal timings for em to work stable together)
2) overclocking (when overclocking, the ram goes up too not only the processor)
3) too low voltage
4) the motherboard dislikes that specific ram, in some cases a bios update can fix it get the latest , also check on the ram & mobo manufacturer sites for compatablity see if it was tested 100% working on your mobo
5) the stick/s are bad , but thats not so common

1. I havent changed the timings
2. I havent overclocked
3. No idea whether the voltage is low or not (how do i check)
4. The MB should like it
5. I have tested one and its fine its the other on its own that the comp doesnt like.

considering you tested each stick seperatly and only 1 had errors , you defintly have 1 bad stick , rma time :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom