Dual Boot Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonfendm

Beta member
Hey all, I really hope someone can help me with this.

I own an HP Pavillion a6720y Desktop PC. It came stock with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Almost immediately, I sought to upgrade to Windows 7. The installation kept crashing, and after doing some research, I learned that the system bios required a change of the controller from AHCI to RAID. After doing this, Windows 7 installed flawlessly. Recently, I got the need to have a dual boot with Windows XP. The windows XP installation BSOD'd shortly after starting windows executive. Remembering the issue with Windows 7, I decided to test those waters again. I have 3 options for the controller, 1) IDE 2) RAID 3)AHCI. When I changed it back to AHCI, which is where it was with Windows Vista, it still BSOD'd. When I changed it to IDE, XP installed flawlessly.

The obvious problem I have now, the dual boot is set up. But I have to enter the bios every time I want to change the OS, as Windows 7 will not start up with it set to IDE, and XP will not start up with it set to RAID. Is there a software fix that can help me with this, or is it simply something I am stuck with? I have set up dual boots for lots of other people, and no other system has ever caused this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anymore info is needed, please leave a reply, and I will supply the information.

There is no software fix. Win7 shouldnt be ued unlss you have two drivs. Cant have a RAID array with a single drive. I have Win7 installed using ACHI and it worked perfectly. You can use ACHI for XP bit you need to slipstream the SATA drivers onto the disk or use th F6 to install 3rd party drivers.

XP was releases before there was even SATA drives. So it doesnt support them without drivers. If there are no drivers then you are going to have to set the drives on IDE and reinstall Win7.

If you dont want to do that then you are stuck going into the BIOS everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom