Drives not booting? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Drives not booting?

I have an LG DVD+/-RW drive, and a Memorex DVD/CD-RW drive. I need to reinstall Windows XP on an old computer, but for some reason when I try to boot the XP CD, it doesn't detect and loads straight from the HDD. I know the CD drives are good, and the Windows XP CD, as I can use both to read the Windows XP CD inside of Windows. I've set the BIOS to boot from only the optical drives, but when I do that, it says System disk failure, so I can't load anything. Any suggestions?

Old 10-08-2008, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

Default Re: Drives not booting?

Check that from your two CD drives one of the drives jumper pins is on master and the other on slave. Set the master drive as your first device in BIOS and insert the disk in that drive.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Make sure your XP CD is bootable. Most are if you've purchased it from a store, but if you burned a copy you may not have burned the ISO image correctly.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvb724 View Post
Check that from your two CD drives one of the drives jumper pins is on master and the other on slave. Set the master drive as your first device in BIOS and insert the disk in that drive.
Had the DVD burner on Master, and the CD burner on Slave. Neither worked. Took both out, and did one at a time. Still no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
Make sure your XP CD is bootable. Most are if you've purchased it from a store, but if you burned a copy you may not have burned the ISO image correctly.
I used a Retail copy at first. Didn't work, so I copied the contents, and made an ISO. Didn't work. I then downloaded a copy from a torrent site. Didn't work.
Closed Thread