Drivers wont stay installed on PC:( - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Drivers wont stay installed on PC:(

Hey guys I was hoping someone could help me out here. I just formated my computer and re-installed windows xp pro. Well when I but in my gigabyte MB drivers disk it installed several things, but would not install the usb2.0 drivers untill I got Service Pack2. So now I have sp2 and the usb2.0 install isn't an option anymore. So when I plug in my USB mass storage device I get the message that it will be running slow. I wish this was my only problem, BUT I also noticed in Device Manager There is a yellow ? mark next to "PCI Device", "USB Controller" and "Video Controller" I can get rid of these by updating the drivers by searching through the cd roms but after a reboot it goes back to the way it was. So even when I put in my Display Driver installation cd and install it, nothing is changed after a reboot. Anyone know what the heck is going on here? Thanks so much in advace.
Colin

Old 10-27-2007, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Drivers wont stay installed on PC:(

browse Compaq for a BIOS update . Did you re-install the Mthr Brd or is this a pre-build ?

Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans
Old 10-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It was pre-built from cyberpower. How do I find a update for my bios? Probably go to Gigabyte's (my mb's maker) web page huh? I tried to download updates for my video card driver wich is seperate from my mb and drivers for my audio wich is intergrated and nothing changed. I even looking in the manual and it mentions the yellow ? mark being next to the USB place in the device manager and they just uninstall it and re-boot and that doesn't work either :\
Old 10-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey I got most of everything to work! I disabled some startup programs and it will let me install the drivers. For some reason though the audio driver wont install. I'm downloading that now from the gigabyte site. I hope that works. Hey I do have another easy question for ya though, for some reason I can no longer right click on a link and open it in a new window. The option is there, but nothing happens. I have IE6, maybe I should just get firefox? Thnks for your help buddy
Old 10-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Everything is perfect now! Thanks for the help, very much appreciated!!!
Closed Thread