Driver questions for Newb R US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purgatory

Baseband Member
How often should one check for new driver updates for their system especially a newb? I did registry booster but it only allows to update 15 for free.

I'm having trouble with my Sound Blaster Audigy speakers system. I located their hardware site but not a darn thing on driver updates.

The main one i wanna fix is the sound for right now

I go for the if it aint broke do not fix it. The only ones I keep up to date are my chipset and video card. I look about once a month. When you have a brand new board getting the newest bios updates are a good idea as well for new ram cpu compatibility and overclocking features.

Lmao only cuz some of it went over my head I had to read it 3 times (I'm working with no coffee).

Just a lil background my comp is my first circa 2002/2003 a gateway that during its time was the top of the line. Other than basic operating bull I knew nothing about anything comp really. So driver updates as I'm realizing is a whole lot of frustrating bull to update. A year back my system crashed i had no internet and had to wipe all of its memory and start from scratch thx to a frustrated but patient gateway tech. After getting the darn thing to work I ended up buying an ethernet card.

Hence, any previous driver updates I did went out the door. I've been dealing with the annoyance of not having sound but now I am dedicated into getting it to work then I'll work on the next driver problem. So you lost me at: new ram cpu compatibility and overclocking features.

Ohhh, I just remembered something. Sometimes in order to fix the problem the hardware or the software has to be activated before it'll work. Know of which is first?

Is it onboard sound or a sound card? If onboard give me the model of your gateway. If it is a sound card give me the model of the card.

I go for the if it aint broke do not fix it.

Very good advice!

I normally read the release notes first. If there aren't major fixes and it's not going to offer any noticeable increases in performance or fix any issues, I don't bother.

Sometimes when you install updates, it creates new issues.

Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
252 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

It's a gateway model 700X.

I know but I just can't part with my baby yet. She's like the enterprise to me. No i'm not a geek I just sound like one at times.

I'm wide awake and I don't see it either but their support system says its a Gateway 700X

Model: Gateway700X
Serial Number:
Ship Date: 11/27/2002
Warranty Expires: EXPIRED

I usually go to them but lately they been giving me problems with assistance despite that I have lifetime warranty of online assistance

Ok here's a lesson for all those who have old fart comps like I do.

I went to the link that hef was kind enough to direct me to and somehow i managed to get a kind tech that managed to give me another link to the driver I needed. From there I took care of it myself.
The file downloaded to my screen and I clicked on the icon which further gave me instructions which I printed. Don't be stubborn like me, print the darn instructions.

I had the original Sound Blaster Audigy and installed the new driver file and it still didn't work. Then i
went to the instructions again and uninstalled like it said and for good measure i disconnected the speakers from the tower. Rebooted the comp Reinstalled only the new file i was given and Voila!

My SPEAKERS WORK! I GOT SOUND! I am so ecstatic, lol. Next obstacle tune in to the new thread Revenge of the CAM.
Yeah, I'm still excited that I got sound.

Ok, One more lesson I learned. Trying to load cam after speakers can disable speakers. I had to uninstall speakers again and reinstall after the cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom