Driver issues with Ati 4800 series? Dual Monitors a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Is any one else here having major issues with the 8.XX drivers for 4800 cards? I got my 4870 about a week ago and it seems that I am having some major driver issues. It seems to me at this point it's related to running dual monitors?!?! :confused:

Yesterday I hooked up my LCD TV as the second monitor. For some strange reason when I did that it resized my res on main monitor from 1920 x 1200 to 1900 x 1080. That happens to be the same res as my TV. So I disconnected TV and resized my res back to 1920 x 1200. Plugged TV back in and it did it again but this time it allowed me to scale it back (using the slider bar). However as soon as I did that I got BSOD and crashed.

Previously I had another BSOD when I was running dual monitors with my actual two LCD monitors (not my TV). Everything worked fine until I turned off my computer and booted it up the next morning. Very strange.

I've tried 8.12 and 8.11 drivers. I'm back on 8.12 but scared to death of trying to run the dual monitors. Every time I get a BSOD the drivers are corrupt and no longer work!!!!! I have to uninstall them and start over. So much fun!

Another strange thing some what off topic. I disabled windows from trying to find and install new drivers but no matter what if I delete my drivers and do a restart Vista will try and install drivers and fails???

Last, the .exe for the 8.XX drivers is a POS!! The drivers WILL NOT install on the first attempt. It's so odd. It states they have been installed and prompts for a restart but they were not installed! So strange! I've gone through this so much lately I know when it installed them and when it didn't based upon the time frame of the installing process. If it's quick it didn't do it, if it takes about 2 minutes then it has installed them. I don't get why it installs sometimes (usually 2nd or 3rd attempt) but NEVER installs on first attempt?

I love the performance of this card but I will NEVER buy another ATI card because of this horrible driver BS I am going through.

EDIT: I've done more research. Seems there is a big issue with dual monitors/Vista/Aero and maybe even bios updates might be needed. However it seems I cannot find a solid answer as to what really is a true fix.

Well i cant say for sure what is going on with the ATi drivers as i use a nVidia card. But i know from experience that it isnt to due with Vista and Aero.

I run vista with Dual Monitors. A 22" WS and a 19" standard. With Aero on Vista since RTM and i have not had any such issues. I even have it running in Win7 with no issues.

I would contact ATi to see if this is a known issue or if they have a known fix. Cause mine works just fine here.

Maybe a updated BIOS might help? But from my experience it isnt a issue with Vista & Aero as i know several people other than myself who run this type of setup just fine.

I've done a ton of research since this thread. I have heard everything so far. Some say I need to add a line to registery, update bios, bad drivers, but then some NVIDIA ppl came in and said they are having issues as well. The most common idea that people came up with is it was a Vista related issue. Something about TDR AMD Game Forums - ATIKMDAG.sys problems and TDR FAQ

Not sure if that applies to me or if it's still an issue.

Found this a good read with different attempts. 4870 vista x64 multi-mon = atikdmag BOOM - Monitors/Video

I am really confused on what the issue is. All I know is that when I had my 3870 installed I never once had a dual monitor issue.

I had since stopped using dual monitor just so I could enjoy my card but I am about to plug it back in and see if the problem persist.

EDIT: more ppl with my issue 4850 1GB Overclocking and Dual Monitors - [H]ard|Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom