Driver IRQL not less or equal error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahwah

Beta member
Hello, I've been having an issue with my PC. Recently I've been playing a lot of games (Team Fortress 2, Mass Effect, Fallout 3) and crashing a lot, sometimes going to blue screen for a few seconds with "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" appearing at the top of the screen. I googled the problem and couldn't find too much useful information (or I didn't know what to do), and I got the latest drivers for my graphics card (Nvidia 8600GT). While getting the drivers helped, I still crash very frequently while playing the previously-mentioned games. Usually they just crash to the desktop, but sometimes my entire computer crashes and restarts itself.
When I do get the blue screen, I can't get all of the errors down since i the screen only stays there for a few seconds before automatically rebooting. Most of the time though the error messages say something like
"Stop" followed by "0x00000" and a number from 1-8 and usually a letter like E. All that I understand about it is that it's a hex code or something (my technical knowledge is limited to about half of a semester of Computer Science 1 in high school; I'm 16 years old).

Can someone offer any advice?
Specs?

Also if this is in the wrong section please show me where this belongs, thank you.

Do this so that your computer will not restart on an error and you can write down the stop code error you get.

1/ Click Start button

2/ From Start menu Click Control panel

3/ In Control Panel Click the System icon

4/ In the System Window look on the Left hand side of the window and you will see a list of options. Click on the Advanced System Settings option

5/ Because Computer management requires administrative privileges you may find the the User Account Control will pop up. If it does then enter the required information (if you are not the administrator) or, if you are the administrator, click the Continue button

6/ In the Advanced Settings window look for the Startup and Recovery section and then Click the Settings button

7/ In the Startup and recovery window look for the section marked System failure and remove the 'tick' mark from the 'Automatically Restart' option. Now press OK button

8/ Finally click the OK button on the System properties Window and then close the system window.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/decoding-stop-errors-193078/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/

Always a good idea to run memtest on your ram for that is a common cause of the BSOD
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Write down the error code and repost it here.

Bump.

I found this thread while using Google.

I am having a slightly similar issue on Windows XP.

My computer was infected with this "System Protect 2009" virus. I've managed to get rid of it, but since I was infected I can't boot up Windows in anything but safe mode. Otherwise, I get the infamous "Blue screen of death" with the same error message as OP. My stop codes are:

0x000000D1
0xE17B4000
0x00000002
0x00000000
0xF3E87B00

There is no other information on the error, like names or such. I've already tried Googling the 2nd and 5th ones, to no avail.

I have also tried to use System Restore to go back to an earlier date. However, this doesn't work. It lets me select a date and goes to the confirmation screen, but when I hit "Next" there, it doesn't proceed. The button goes down, but afterwards nothing happens.

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Looks like something happened to one of your drivers.

Your easiest solution may be to perform a repair install versus tracking down the bad driver.
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

I would also try to reseat your ram and test it with memtest just in case.

Bug Check 0xD1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x000000D1. This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
Parameters

The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.
Parameter Description
1 Memory referenced
2 IRQL at time of reference
3 0: Read

1: Write

8: Execute

4 Address that referenced memory

Cause

A driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

This bug check is usually caused by drivers that have used improper addresses.

Windows Driver Kit: Driver Development Tools
Bug Check 0x2: DEVICE_QUEUE_NOT_BUSY

The DEVICE_QUEUE_NOT_BUSY bug check has a value of 0x00000002.

This bug check appears very infrequently.

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.

It's not letting me boot from the CD. I get an error message saying "System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt".

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.

It's not letting me boot from the CD. I get an error message saying "System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt".

Do you have another HDD in that PC? IF YES. Make sure your boot sequence is not set to that other HDD first. (That could cause the "System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt" error you received)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom