drive is slow after accidental unplug

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
i accidentally unplugged wrong drive when i was trying to power up the broken one
and now my 4tb backup drive is really slow at accessing files
i ran error check and fix for over a day it went thgouth and said drive is ready to use

but every time i try to access files it has that stupid green loading bar on it
its very slow at accessing files after that
did i screw it up or is it something to do with windows

even after installing it in the new pc its still slow to access files
any directory or file it gives me tha green loading line and very slow in any operation
I ran error check 3 times already and defrag. no change.
it had no problems before its a new drive about a year old

its a 3gb WD 5.25 drive
can it be anything with indexing?

also with that drive plugged in the computer takes about 5 minutes to load windows vs 4 seconds without it
and takes few minutes to shut down also when drive is plugged in
I don't know if psu failed and damaged it or what happened during that shut down

Last edited:
Firstly, back up the data that's on it, just in case.

Next, when you ran error checking...did you run it through the GUI or command prompt? Which options did you select for either?

gui for now
have to buy another drive now . this was my backup drive
i think psu shorted
after that power loss the psu light started flickering and making a faint buzzing sound

gui for now
have to buy another drive now . this was my backup drive
i think psu shorted
after that power loss the psu light started flickering and making a faint buzzing sound

Reason I say backup any data that's not backed up, is because if it has bad sectors and is growing, then that's a problem.

When running the error check, did you check both boxes?

its off now im not powering it up until I find some more info on what might be the issue. I already lost 3 drives

I just realized that the drive that failed is
WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD30EFRX

they claim these drives should be lasting somewhere around 10 years of constant access on servers etc.. mine is not even 3 years old of home use.
this is crap. now all my data is lost... on 3 drives that are now dead...

drive shows 100% healthy on every scanner I tried... and yet the performance is slowly degrading more and more

I just realized that the drive that failed is
WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD30EFRX

they claim these drives should be lasting somewhere around 10 years of constant access on servers etc.. mine is not even 3 years old of home use.
this is crap. now all my data is lost... on 3 drives that are now dead...

drive shows 100% healthy on every scanner I tried... and yet the performance is slowly degrading more and more

So...did you actually confirm it's dead? Most likely bad sectors from the sudden unplug causing the issues. If you're unable to access it within Windows, boot off of a Linux LiveCD/LiveUSB such as Ubuntu and back up any important data that way. I've had little trouble doing that when trying to access dying drives that Windows would have issues accessing.

After you get your important data backed up, run the error checking again with both boxes checked, or run it from command prompt: chkdsk X: /f /r

Replace X: with your drive letter for the drive in Windows. You can also do this off of a Windows install disc/USB by accessing the recovery options and choosing the Command Prompt option. I would unplug all other drives except the problem one when doing this, so it's easier to figure out the randomly-assigned drive letter.

its detected just barely accessible

even when I disable device in device manager I still hear it crackle slowly in the background doing some sht.

when I restart even with it disabled it still slows down the system
I couldn't even load a game up with the drive connected and disabled
it slows down everything even when not used

im trying to find a good replacement for it but Its not like I can just buy a 300 dollar drive . I just spend a lot of money on other things and now this failed..
im trying to get a 2.5" drive instead but haven't found a good price and reliability yet.

Back
Top Bottom