Double Monitor setup, two odd lines showing up on secondary screen (software related) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Double Monitor setup, two odd lines showing up on secondary screen (software related)

I'm running dual monitors and I wanted the background to span across both screens. The only way I found that I was able to do this was to set my left screen as the primary monitor and set the background to "tile". I then moved the taskbar and all of the icons to the right screen because I wanted my real primary screen to be the right one. I'm running a Radeon HD 4870 made by Asus and my two monitors are both 24" 1900x1080 AOC 2436VH and 2436VW (one uses dvi input, the other hdmi). My operating system is Windows 7 64bit Professional.

So now that all of the technical stuff is out of the way, let me show you what the issue is:
http://royalty-ro.com/forums/uploads...1586543-U1.jpg
(link only because it's a rather large image)

So where the screen is split on the right side there are two small horizontal grey lines, I boxed them in red to make it easier to spot.

These two lines show up over anything I open on the computer including the browser I'm typing in right now. I know it's not the monitor because if I scale the screen-size using my graphics card the lines move with the screen scaling. I should also mention that if I make the right monitor the primary monitor these lines disappear (they don't show up on either monitor). Any ideas?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Double Monitor setup, two odd lines showing up on secondary screen (software related)

I would recommend trying out a program like Ultramon (not free) or DisplayFusion (free version for just different wallpapers: DisplayFusion: Multi-Monitor Taskbar, Multi-Monitor Screen Savers, HotKeys, Multi-Monitor Wallpaper, Windows Logon Changer and more...), where you can set each monitor to have its own wallpaper instead of tiling it across. Try that, and maybe that will solve your issues.

Since it's showing up in screenshots, it's definitely not something with your monitor, and not likely something with your graphics drivers.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Double Monitor setup, two odd lines showing up on secondary screen (software related)

I agree to try Ultramon - one of my favorite utilities and worth the money. Then, instead of stretching your background across both monitors, check out Blatte's Backgrounds and note the backgrounds at that bottom created specifically for dual-monitor setups. My career background is in radio maintenance for air traffic control facilities so I really like "Waveform" across my two 22" widescreens.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────
Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

I've used both Ultramon and Displayfusion. If all you're wanting is 2 different wallpapers, Displayfusion for free is just fine. I started using Ultramon for the secondary taskbar though too.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm using wallpapers made specifically for my monitor size, I just have to tile it to get it to run across both screens. I'll try the free thing, if it doesn't work I'll debate ultramon (I just think 40 dollars is a bit pricey to simply display my wallpaper across two screens).
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Ultramon has other features as well, not just independent wallpapers.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
(I just think 40 dollars is a bit pricey to simply display my wallpaper across two screens).
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that was Ultramon's primary purpose. Far from it. It primarily helps Windows and other applications keep track of monitor assignments, and it's key "visible" feature is the "Smart Taskbar" feature that keeps open window icons with each monitor, instead of putting them all on Monitor 1. Independent wallpaper assignments is just a nice visual touch.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────
Closed Thread