dos ver 6.22 software installation - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default dos ver 6.22 software installation

hello everyone

can anyone help how to install my msdos ver 6.22 into an 80gig harddisk? im planning to have a dual boot configuration for my newly purchased computer - one for dos and the other for win xp prof sp2.

thanks in advance,

lawrence

Old 09-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dipique

In what form do you have DOS? And what are you using this for? There might be an easier way than dual-booting into DOS.

Dan

Old 09-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Actually, the point of sale application i created and developed works best in ms dos environment. Got no hassles whatsoever in printing when my program runs under dos environment. I use this program in our day-to-day transactions coz we operate a school and office supplies type of business. I need a dual boot configuration coz when there are no customers, i can reboot and easily migrate to windows xp and surf the internet.

is there any other solution this? Or can you just help me how to partition and format my harddisk using fat16? I tried already the fdisk.exe command from dos 6.22 but to no avail if failed.

thanks and regards

lawrence
Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

FAT16 doesn't have large volume support. I think there are programs that emulate DOS pretty well; I'd go that direction. But the question remains the same: what form do you have DOS in? Diskettes? A CD? A zipped file? A binary configuration of molting eggplants?

Dan
Old 09-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

use Windows DOS. i have never seen this scnerio using DOS with Windows XP.
XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Sony DVD-RW
Old 09-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Recommendations well taken. Actually I just tried running my program with windows xp dos mode. The program runs well. But im having problems with my printing. My epson tm-220u printer stops/pauses after printing 24 lines of the official receipts. Fifteen seconds later the printer resumes printing and completed the official receipts. My worry is if i adopt this scenario in our business, customers might file up in the cashier area. I tried to bring this problem with epson but they haven't responded yet as of this writing. thank you dan for your help. i would appreciate it very much if you can still help me with my printing problems, if that's not too much to ask.

regards again and more power to your group

lawrence
Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

It sounds like you're filling up a buffer...

But let me ask you this. What language is this developed in, and when did you develop it? Depending on the language, why not just write a GUI for it and use faster and more sophisticated tools that are built into the operating system?

If that's way too big a project to pick up, try restarting your computer and booting into safe mode (tap f8 during start-up and choose "safe mode with command prompt" at the boot menu) and try running the program from that. You can also try right-clicking the title bar, going to properties, and raising the buffer, but I'm not sure if that's the buffer that's having an issue.

It might also be some glitch in the code-- have you gotten it to work on a DOS computer?

Dan
Old 09-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you might try dosbox (a Dos emulator) here , not sure its intended for this type of thing but gotta be worth a shot.

I you wanted to dual boot then might be worth making a small FAT16 partition for the DOS installation, I think 2Gb is the max partition size of FAT16.

XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Closed Thread