A Doozy Of A Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Testingzors

Beta member
Alright, this is kind of complicated, so bear with me if you will.

I'll start by saying this problem started happening when I began playing Counter-Strike: Source (A pretty demanding game regarding the work of the computer). After random amounts of time (within 30 minutes), the computer would go into a "standby" like mode. The monitor light would turn orange and I would have to restart manually.

I obviously thought it was the game, but the other, easier (on the computer) games were going into this "standby" mode. And eventually it would even go into "standby" on desktop!

If that wasn't enough, some games now have a VPU recover message popping up A LOT, other games have it popping up but not as often. The message said the VPU recover reset my graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands. Sometimes after the message popped up a couple times another message popped up saying it reset both my hardware and software and to reset my computer. After restarting, it kept happening again.

Also, a couple times after restarting my computer after going into "standby" this message popped up: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=b9762794-4361-499c-838f-047353fce23a&SID=802

So I look into it on some forums on the internet (forums of the game that started it), and they suggest it's a power supply issue, so I suggest this to my computer tech, and he says we might as well try it, since they took my computer in previously and suggested it was simply because the games were on my secondary hard drive and couldn't find various files, but the games were on my primary hard drive, so that wasn't the problem.

So the new PSU was installed, and I had my hopes up. I played the game and it still went into standby and had the various VPU recover errors.

After the new PSU was installed a couple things changed. One time when playing an easier (on the computer) game, the computer went into "standby" and came out, except it was frozen on the screen it was at before going on "standby", and it went between that and a green with a whole bunch of "messed up colors" screen.

Another problem after installing the new PSU was that playing the tough (on the computer) game, the game froze with skipping sounds for a couple seconds and then went to a blue screen, where I had to restart.

Here's the summary of the problems:

Before new PSU:
-VPU recover error
-standby problem on all games and desktop
-video driver error after restarting after standby problem

After new PSU:
-all previous problems mentioned above
-frozen screen with skipping sounds and the screen turned blue
-standby problem but came out, went to frozen screen of screen it was at before the problem occured, also went to a "messed up color" screen

I'm not a computer guy so when attempting to diagnose the problem, please include why it may have happened, why it causes the problems it does, and what must be done to fix it, for my sake please.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I've seen these problem before, it also happens to me. Before I can help you provide me with your specification like motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc...

I know your video card is at fault, because I dealt with these issue alot. From reading that link I am assuming you have an ati graphic card? This issue can be resolve by turning off the 8x agp speed feature in your display properties and turning off fastwrite. Also turn off fastwrite in BIOS. I hope this work for you.

Sounds like a problem I'm having. Graphics card is locking up and losing output to monitor. Have to reset.

Rest of the computer carrys on regardless, just no graphics output.

i have had something like that happen to me, i was running
3Dmark03, computer stopped, blue screen, turn off computer...couldnt turn back on. It was my power supply. i had it replace in no time.

I would think if the power supply went the rest of the computer would shut down. Is this what is happening?

How dusty is your system?

Maybe I missed it but I dont think you mentioned updating the drivers... or if you did that, rolling back to an old ati driver. I had an issue like that also the exact same vpu recover message. Try the latest driver, if that doesnt work try an older but still fairly new driver. You dont always need the "latest" video card driver sometimes when they come out with a new one it doesnt work very well with some systems.

Alright I'll attempt to answer all the questions in one post.

The PSU was just replaced, so I doubt it's a power supply issue...although maybe I received another bad one? I doubt it.

Windows and the ATI graphics card (radeon 9600) are all upgraded, and I have tried going back to an older driver for the graphics card with no avail.

My system is only 3 months old, it's top of the line without going out and buying parts seperately and assembling it yourself. (So basically what I'm saying is the specs aren't the issue)

I doubt it's overheating, I have one fan always on, and another bigger one kicks on every once in a while.

I'm going to attempt to turn off fastwrite and I'll post with my results.

Law said:
I've seen these problem before, it also happens to me. Before I can help you provide me with your specification like motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc...

I know your video card is at fault, because I dealt with these issue alot. From reading that link I am assuming you have an ati graphic card? This issue can be resolve by turning off the 8x agp speed feature in your display properties and turning off fastwrite. Also turn off fastwrite in BIOS. I hope this work for you.

Perfect!

I turned off fastwrite and turned off agp (from 8x).

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Couple last things...does this mean the graphics card was overheating? And should I buy a new graphics card? (not ATI). And what are the disadvantages of playing without fastwrite and agp off?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom