dont know wether to get or wait - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: LONDON
Posts: 902
Send a message via MSN to robina_80
Default dont know wether to get or wait

i dont know wether to get a raptor HD or wait until the SSD come down in price, ive heard that SSD really need sata 3(600MB) which will come out early next year because SSD actually transfer speeds well over 500MB. what wuould you guys do?

robina_80 is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
saltynay's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast, Singapore
Posts: 5,149
Default Re: dont know wether to get or wait

Thats a load of Bull no harddrive uses the full bandwidth of sata1.5gb/s let alone the current sata3gb/s they just like making the cables faster to give headroom and the glitz to make people buy a more expensive product for little or no gain.

I would upgrade the rest of your pc before investing in a better hdd, don't go raptor there have been some dodgy batches for the last couple of years lots keep dying which isn't great. basically just don't do it until the rest of your pc is better. If you wait in the tech world you will be waiting forever always something shinier and better round the corner

saltynay is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
aaronkupen's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,848
Send a message via AIM to aaronkupen Send a message via Yahoo to aaronkupen
Default Re: dont know wether to get or wait

Yah, personally I think SSDs are more hype than actual performance right now. Their read speeds are great sure, but their writes are traditionally much less than a higher end hard drive. Saltynay is also right, don't take the bus bandwidth as the actual performance of the hard drive.
Desktop - Antec Sonata III
Intel Core i3 540
4 GB DDR3-1600 memory
ATI Radeon HD 5670
Windows Vista Business x64
aaronkupen is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker
carnageX's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,560
Default Re: dont know wether to get or wait

Raptor's arent' worth it, btw. You can get a Western Digital 640GB, 7200rpm drive that's just as fast for cheaper, unlessyou're really that worried about shaving a few seconds off of boot time for Windows to load .
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wait wait! I want to OC too! stb1swat Overclocking and Modding 1 11-13-2008 11:51 AM
Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build. Jewels New Systems | Building and Buying 27 08-08-2008 09:40 PM
Should I upgrade my processor now? Or wait? King$nake New Systems | Building and Buying 5 07-26-2008 07:17 PM
GRUB loading, please wait... error 17 j12 Linux and Open Source 4 11-10-2007 10:51 PM
Maybe it doesn't pay to wait ( not talking about q6600 ) Gabb New Systems | Building and Buying 18 07-29-2007 04:15 PM

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.