Doesn't power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
A friend unplugged the 20+4 pin mobo power connector and removed his secondary IDE harddrive (somewhat clumsily) after we installed a new SATA drive. I'm pretty sure the PSU's power switch was on during this process. Now when you hit the power button there's not even a fan twitch. Is his mobo screwed?

Did you at least unplug the PSU's power cord from the computer? I would recomend you always do that before swapping any hardware. Is there a primary IDE drive other than the new SATA? If so, make sure the jumper is set correctly. If still no power, then it is possible that static could have zapped the motherboard.

If you can get your hands on a PSU tester, check the PSU to make sure that everything is working properly with it. I've had power supplies die on me fairly randomly.

I know to hit the switch or unplug it before making changes, and I always do. Unfortunately my friend (probably) didn't do this. We checked the jumpers and everything, but that's not even the problem. The fans don't even twitch when you hit the button.

And thanks, I'll have him test his PSU next.

Does the motherboard have a standby LED? If so does it light? Try unplugging the power cord for 15 seconds then plug it back in.

This worked on one power supply I had. Hold the power button on for longer then 10 seconds and then press it again. The supply must of had a safeguard to prevent nuking the motherboard.

It has an LED but it doesn't turn on. He tried unplugging it, but with no luck.

I'll have him try your other suggestion, but I have the feeling his mobo is fried.

It has an LED but it doesn't turn on. He tried unplugging it, but with no luck.

I'll have him try your other suggestion, but I have the feeling his mobo is fried.

Or the power supply. The light should be on. Trying another power supply is a lot less hassle then getting a new motherboard and finding out there's nothing wrong with the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom