Does VIIV negatively effect video quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesviper

Solid State Member
I just upgraded my 1.63GHz Core 2 Duo to a 2.4GHz E6600. That's got that VIIV technology. My ripped Arrested Development episodes are blocky, washed out and appear to be more pixelated. Also, when using VLC Media Player, the videos often are monochromatic [a sort of purple overlay].

Another problem with this upgrade is that it causes my fans to spin up to "Jet Turbine" levels, even though the processor is only around 60 degrees, which isn't TOO hot.

I'm thinking of getting a nice new heatsink and fan combination, but are there any suggestions? Do you think this new processor is the reason the video quality has declined?

Ah, one other thing is that I've got a Dell motherboard / computer that I've been upgrading. I've added an extra stick of RAM [so now it's 2 x 1], a 256MB GeForce 7950GT, two hard drives and this new processor.

I'm thinking of starting fresh with a new motherboard, but until then I'm stuck with the Dell motherboard's odd configuration for the heatsink screws. Rather than being a square shape around the CPU, it's more of a rectangle. Are there different size heatsinks that I can order to fit this seemingly proprietary slot? When I get another couple hundred dollars, I'll upgrade to a new motherboard, but I've just been updating this Dell sequentially for the past two or three years.

I am still using the Dell motherboard, but I'm now using a new thermal grease. I hadn't applied the previous one properly. New temperature is 29.6 C at Idle, with an E6600 running 2.808GHz and 312MHz FSB.

Is it the encoding it's affecting, or is it just the playback?

To test, use a video that's already been encoded from before you upgraded the CPU.

I must admit, I don't know much about what VIIV is actually supposed to do though. I'll do some reading.

Oh, sorry, I'm not encoding anything.

The files were encoded earlier, and were playing just fine until this VIIV-capable processor was installed.

What program or programs do you use to play DVD's?

The one I use is called SMplayer, which uses the open-source Mplayer engine. It's free to download, extremely light on resources, can play just about anything, and.. well, just works.
SMPlayer

I'm not sure if using a different player will solve the problem, but there's no harm in trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom