Does SP2 have better USB support? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Does SP2 have better USB support?

Hi all,
I just got a new USB card reader and a replacement and both are very temperamental in when they decide to work or see cards put into it, often giving I/O errors.
I use XP SP1 and basically i need to know if Windows XP SP2 has better support for card readers that would fix this like the sellers tell me. The thing is i dont want to install SP2 for various reasons.
Ive got the latest USB drivers for the motherboard (SiS 748 chipset) and as far as i can see everything looks good system wise.

thx

Old 01-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

I find USB does work better in SP2, with no service packs at all, It was giving me errors with my USB. Stuff like (You are plugging in a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.1 Port) and stuff like that.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I also agree there is better USB protocol with SP2, as much as i dont like the service pack, unfortunatly it's become another one of those thing's that are needed. unless you run Linux.
I also have problems with the USB card and my onboard USB, i get a lot of IRQ's. but my mobo wont allow me to change them. is this the kind of problem you are having ?
Old 01-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by tranquilprime
I also have problems with the USB card and my onboard USB, i get a lot of IRQ's. but my mobo wont allow me to change them. is this the kind of problem you are having ?
What happens is the card is recognised on first pluging in and seems to work ok usually, but as soon as a memory card is taken out the next one will usually refuse to read giving an 'I/O Error' even if its the same one being put back in. Or sometimes the reader will just completely drop out. Does this with CF and SD.
Closed Thread