Do I need speakers to plug headphones in? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Do I need speakers to plug headphones in?

My speakers died, and I want to hear sound from my computer (imagine that). I'm just wondering why, or if, I need a set of speakers to transfer sound to me if I just want to use headphones instead for a time.

I tried plugging them into the speaker jack on the back of the PC and got no sound out of it. I'm not surprised, but I am wondering what the reason for this is.

The drivers are still intact. Why can't they communicate with the headphones just as a set of speakers? I understand I wouldn't be able to change the volume.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Content Team

the headphones should work because theyre what im usin right now!
are you shure it is not ur soundcard/drivers

Old 10-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I ran a diagnostic program that was included with my Creative audio driver. It all passed. I am almost sure the drivers are fine. The speakers were aging.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

It should work exactly the same as speakers. Unless the phones are bad too or something. I assume you used phones you know are good and the volume is up. There is a setting under sounds and audio devices where you can change the type of speaker you have connected, but it really shouldn't matter, that just kind of tweaks the sound quality.
Change the world. Of one person. Today.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Meithan Send a message via Yahoo to Meithan

As superdave said, it should be completely plug-and-play. I normally have my speakers connected and connect headphones instead when it's late. Same plug.

1) Make sure sound isn't muted or turned off, both in Windows and in your headphones (if applicable).
2) Check you're plugging into the correct hole on to the sound card or the motherboard audio port.
3) Verify the headphones are working. Just try them somewhere else.

SuperPi 1M: 29.6s - 3DMark06: 8616
The Geek Test v3.1 Score: 36.3% - Major Geek
Old 10-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well the headphones DID work when I plugged them into the sound card this time. Thanks guys. I learned something.

Closed Thread