Display Issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Display Issues

having a problem with my display at the moment on the desktop there are random areas of red and green pixelation which if i run a window over they will pretty much consume the window, its kind of hard to explain. also pretty much all games are quite unplayable due to random graphical glitches,

I have tried many things including fresh drivers, old drivers and god knows how many other things short of a re format.

would just like to know if this could be more hardware related than drivers and software. the screen is fine and there are no pixellated areas during startup and the windows loading screen just from the welcome screen and desktop. This has made me think that it may not be an issue with my graphics card but the software.

is it worth trying a reformat or is the card definately screwed?

Thanks for you're time,

Gaz

Spec:
amd 3700+
geforce 6800gt
1gig ram
some nforce 4 based mobo

Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Display Issues

Did you overclock your 6800GT? If so, then it's unstable, and you would have to lower the overclock, until you see no artifacts (red and green pixelation).

If not, then it might be overheating. So monitor your idle and load temperatures.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

no the card is not overclocked, and although the card can get rather warm i have seen no abnormally high system temps since this happened or anything else to explain overheating, i'll see if the card needs de-clogging of dust or something when i get back to it, as i'm stuck on a computer in uni at the moment for internet access.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Also, try reseating the card. This has happened to me once, when I saw artifacts on my screen, I took out the graphic card, and reseated it back in. Worked like a charm.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Makes sure that the fan on the card hasnt taken a dump. It sounds like the card is overheating.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well guys gonna get back to the house and see if i can get it going. thanks for the help and i'll try check back in with updates in a few hours

Closed Thread