Display Crashing! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 03-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Display Crashing!

Hey Everyone,

For the past few days my display has been crashing to a black screen every time I watch a video or play a game. It's also displayed in black and white and shown green streaks running throughout. The crash only happens after I'm watching a video for a few minutes or if I go into a game like dota it'll crash almost instantly. These are the tests I've done so far.

I uninstalled the current NVIDIA drivers and replaced them with a few previous editions.

I reformatted the computer just to make sure it wasn't viruses, etc.

I've tried several monitors and the problem persists across different monitors.

I've taken out the GPU and used the on-board video my mobo has. This resulted in the computer having more issues and not even being able to load to the desktop. Upon booting up it will simply crash and restart. It made it once all the way to the desktop using just the mobo but quickly shut off and rebooted itself.

I'll be switching out my gpu for an old one a friend has later on tonight to see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Here are my specs
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586)
System Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard: MSI B75A - G43
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/03/12 11:15:32 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
RAM:Team Dark 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800)
DirectX Version: 12
Chip type: GeForce GTX 970
Monitor Id: APP9232
Monitor Model: Cinema HD
Display Memory: 8072 MB
Current Mode: 2560 x 1600 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Vardon098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Display Crashing!

I have a feeling you have a fault on either the motherboard or CPU. Most likely the motherboard.

But you may need to do other tests, such as removing all your ram and testing them one stick at a time.
As it could be a RAM issue as well.

Remove any other PCI/pci-x cards, and USB devices.
Basically strip the system down to the basics and add each device back until it crashes.
This will include trying a different hard drive, cpu and power supply if you have them.
Frosty is a Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote