A disk error occurred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcology

Beta member
Hi, I recently built a computer for myself for the first time and was feeling very computer savy. My old Windows XP I was giving to my dad and one night I impatiently turned it off by holding in the power button.

The next morning the error message occurred on start up right after seeing the MOBO display screen saying "A disk error occurred. Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart." This error just keeps popping up upon restarting

I'm using an Asus P4P800-VM MOBO and Windows XP SP2. In the BIOS it detects the HDD. When I try booting from the Windows XP CD after it says checking hardware configuration/setup nothing happens.

Could my HDD be messed up or could it be a BIOS problem or something else altogether? Not sure where to start on this.

That is usually a sign of the MBR being shot. Use the XP CD and go into the Recovery Console and use the fixboot and fixmbr commands. See if that helps.

I would try that but I can't even get to the screen that allows me that option. The CD never goes past checking system hardware. I may try subbing in another harddrive and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom