Disk drive not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perrj99

Beta member
I assume that for some reason, my disk drive is not being recognized by my computer. This has been ongoing since late September, and I had not had a chance to have anyone with real knowledge (I am also lacking when it comes to computer know-how) check it out, because I was in Europe studying abroad.

I have a Compaq Presario F500 notebook with Windows Vista and a Toshiba disk drive. Around the time I installed The Sims 2, as well as all of it's expansion packs at the time, I started receiving "No CD/DVD-ROM drive found." messages (which I still get every time I start a program which requires a disk). So I checked around the Sims2 forums and found that many others, especially with Windows Vista, Toshiba disk drives, etc were experiencing the same problems as myself. They all seem to associated these problems with SecuRom, an anti-piracy program now used by EA/Sony/Maxis on their newer disks.

Anytime I have inserted a disk into the drive, the drive itself makes noise as if it is working, yet absolutely nothing happens on my computer.

Well, recently, because I thought I was going to have to format my drive and reinstall windows, I purchased a 500 GB external hard drive to transfer all of my pictures, etc to. Magically (at least to me, since I'm computer 'tarded), when I plugged the USB cable which was connected to the external hard drive, but not plugged in to any power source, my disk drive was recognized by my computer and I was able to insert Sims' disks and even play again.

I haven't tried any other disks yet, but now that I wanted to re-install some stuff, I can't get that same magic situation to occur again. It happened a few times, only after a restart, with the said disk in and the external hard drive plugged into the USB port. But it does not happen every time I try this same situation/set-up.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation for me? I'm very confused and would like to figure this out without having to shell out a good amount of cash to get it fixed. He LL, the main reason I even purchased this laptop was to bring abroad with me.

Thanks for even reading all of that lol...

- John :confused: :confused: :confused:

are you asking you want the "magic" to occur again?
the "magic" is your drive being recognized with just the usb cable plugged in but no power?

you confus-ED me

also, is it a western digital my book or something?

are you asking you want the "magic" to occur again?
the "magic" is your drive being recognized with just the usb cable plugged in but no power?

you confus-ED me

also, is it a western digital my book or something?

lol I wouldn't mind this mystery situation to occur for the time being, but I was wondering if anyone knew what possible reason could be the cause of my drive not being recognized, especially since it works at some times (very rarely, and only with the external drive plugged into the USB port).

I need to get this problem fixed for good eventually, but since it works on occasion now, it gave me a little bit of hope that maybe I won't have to format the drive and have Windows reinstalled.

Computer:
Compaq Presario F500 Notebook
Windows Vista
Disk Drive:
Toshiba MK8037GSX SCSI

Ok...still a little confusing for me :p
you say the external drive, plugged in via usb is allowing your system to see the toshiba drive correct?

could be something went wrong in bios...this being a notebook...hmm
could be cmos battery going...just need to replace it...hopefully the schematic for replacing for that laptop is easy...you have manual?

OR...could just need to update your software for it if haven't...
Software & Driver downloads Compaq Presario F500 CTO Notebook PC

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -  How to Determine if the CMOS Battery has Failed 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom