Disk boot failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

foskey

Baseband Member
ill try to explain this problem the best i can, i woke up this morning to find that my computer had restarted it self and was stuck on one of the start up screens and on the bottom it said: Disk boot failure Insert system disk and press enter. I havent had this problem before and it seems that my computer is not recognizing my hard drive or and of my cdrw\dvd roms that are hooked up. after getting this error i tried switching around the IDE cables but haven't had any luck except one where it showed that it recognized my hd and cdrom drive but an error came up at the top stating :
Couldn't open multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)(s)
NTLDR Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) DDR SDRAM

I have no idea why my computer decided to pull this off but any help or what is going on would be great, thanks.

The potential problems that I can think of could be the IDE controller on your board, the IDE cable, the BIOS or the Drive.

Make sure it's a good cable.

Check your BIOS settings and make sure they all look correct. Does it recognize your hard drive there?

Try connecting only your hard drive to the computer (no cd drive or anything) and starting it to make sure it is a problem with only the hard drive and the motherboard.

Did the hard drive crash...can you hear/feel the drive running? Try it in a different computer.

That's about all I can think of. It sounds like it could be a boot sector virus which overwrites your boot sector or changes the location of it so that your computer does not know where to look for the OS.

i took out the ide connector to the cdrom drive and im able to open windows on my computer but the next problem is that it doesn't recognize my profile and always starts as a brand new one and im getting clicks from my computer and its going slow at times

it has never done these types of things before, ill try and check anti virus and such

It almost sounds like a hard drive failure. Is the clicking coming from the hard drive?

sobbing.gif

yes it clicks and is extremely slow for about 15 minutes but then it runs like normal, i talked with a computer hardware teacher and fixed my ide cables so it wont give me the error message, so it starts up and boots fine but it wont recognize my windows profile saying that its corrupt or it can't access the files which i still havent found out a reason for that.

You hard drive is probably failing. Do this: boot in the safe mode command promt: type: chkdsk /p and enter
fixboot and enter
exit and enter
chkdsk /r and enter
exit and enter.

what you are trying to do here is to have chkdsk do a surface scan and sector repair on that hard drive. Let me know what happens.

invalid parameters - /p
then when i do chkdsk /r it asked if i wanted to scan when i rebooted next but i wasnt sure about that since the /p didnt work
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom