disabling SMART

Status
Not open for further replies.

slavich

Baseband Member
when i boot up my laptop with an 80 gig harddrive, the SMART predicts a faliure. but the harddrive is still working just fine.

the question is, how do i disable SMART? (the faliure message annoys me) or if there is a way to find out what may be the problem so i can attemt to fix it.

disabling it from the bios wont work because i couldnt find anything in there that can turn it off.

any sugestions?

Try going to start=>run=> and type "msconfig". Click on the "Startup" tab and see if you can find it and disable it. I'm not sure what SMART is, so i'm assuming it displays an error message once the OS loads up.

slavich said:
when i boot up my laptop with an 80 gig harddrive, the SMART predicts a faliure. but the harddrive is still working just fine.

the question is, how do i disable SMART? (the faliure message annoys me) or if there is a way to find out what may be the problem so i can attemt to fix it.

disabling it from the bios wont work because i couldnt find anything in there that can turn it off.

any sugestions?

:freak: !?

The only way of disabling SMART is in the BIOS (if your BIOS allows this). Many don't. If there isn't an option in your BIOS to disable it, then unfortunately you can't.

The whole point of SMART is to warn you of a predicted hard drive failure before the failure occurs. It works using specific operating tolerances of your hard drive as guidelines, and if a tolerance is outside the normal operating boundaries, then SMART predict imminent failure and will warn you and prompt you to take action.

This is why your hard drive is working fine, for now...but not for long.

Don't suppress this SMART warning. Backup any important data as soon as you can. It may fail any time soon, and at that time, it will be too late to save any valuable data.

...After all, losing all your valuable data is far more annoying, than constantly being warned about it happening before hand.

first of all, i dont have any imprtant data i am afraid to loose.

and this smart warning never popped up on my other computer when i really did need a warning so all my data was lost back then.

well, if i cant disable it through bios, then i dont know what to do.

i am selling this thing anyway.

I had to turn on my SMART settins through BIOS, because I would rather not loose all my music and videos and various other items that I really need to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom