Difficulty Setting up RAID-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony26554

Beta member
Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble installing Vista64ultimate on a new RAID-0 array that I created.

Specs:
Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi-AP
Marvell® 6121 and 6111 SATA controller (on board)
Dual WD Raptor 75GB 10000RPM

After plugging the HDDs into the 2 available RAID SATA ports, I booted Vista64 on a 250GB that is connected to a regular SATA port. Using the Marvell Utility (both in BIOS and Vista) I was able to form a RAID-0 array (32kb allocation, 64kb stripes, NFTS) that was recognized as running. I enabled the mobo in the BIOS to run Marvell before it goes into the BIOS, and it recognized a RAID-0.

My problem, however, is that when I swith the storage configuration in the BIOS from IDE to RAID and restart, it doesn't recognize the array. I even put the RAID driver on a flash drive, and when Vista64 got to the part where I have to pick a storage device to load the OS and it found none, I loaded the driver and it recognized only the 250GB HDD, not the array. I tried while the array was unallocated, allocated with no drive letter assigned, and with a letter assigned. (Which allowed me to see it as one perfectly working RAID-0 array in MyComputer.)

Any help is very much appreciated.
I gotta get this thing runnin'!!

The array is fully set up and functional, and recognized by the Marvell startup utility, but not recognized as a drive when i CTRL+F to the FastBuild utility. :/

Come to think of it, I have two RAID controllers, the Marvell 6121 RAID and the AMD SB600 Southbridge RAID. The Fastbuild utility is for the Southbridge chip, and doesn't recognize it although the Marvell chip does. Ugh, idk..

I could be wrong, but normally you have to set up the RAID first, unless you are trying to use a RAID as a second drive. When you boot the computer, it asks you to hit F6 if you need to install a SATA driver. This is were you set up the RAID. Most (all that I know of) use RAID0 as their main drive. Once the drive(s) is set up, you proceed with the OS install as usual.

I have never messed with setting up a RAID, so I could be completely off base.

I have no idea about getting the two chips to recognize each other. If possible it would be best to go with one and disable the other.

It looks like it would work best using the marvel controller. Plug the drives into the sata_raid1 and sata_raid2 slots on your motherboard (page 2-31 of your manual). Then follow the directions starting on page 5-43 for the marvell controller. The fastbuild utility will not be able to see the array. Do not worry about this. Download the sata drivers and put on a floppy for windows install (instructions start on page 5-49)

Get your manual and drivers here.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

You can build a software based Raid-0 array its not as efficient as a hardware controlled but you can build it without reinstalling windows. Go control panel ---> admin tools ---> computer management ---> disk management ---> right click on drive number in question on the far left where next to the coloured bars and quick reformat to a dynamic drive ----> Select both disks that are now dynamic and right click build raid array then use the wizard to do the rest.

Its a lot simpler then it reads and saves you reinstalling windows it does however mean that the benefits off raid are receeded e.g. 20% increase in write speed with hardware controlled is 10% increase with software controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom