Different type of HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daos VIII

Beta member
G'day mate.
i'm new here. i'm really glad i found this forum.

straight to the point. ok, i have 2 pc at home. both run in win XP pro. however, 1 HD is connected with IDE cable while the other one is connected with SATA.

i wanted to remove 1 HD and put it inside the pc with the HD SATA. problem occured when the pc was about to start windows.
It CAN't. it keeps restarting all over again. (quite irritating actually)

i tried to disconnect the HD SATA and connect the other HD. the same problem occured again. Both HD are 80 GB each. Could u show me how to set the master/slave?

pls help?

my pc spec's :

ASUS P5RD1
Windows XP Pro SP2
Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
704 MB of RAM
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series
WDC 80 GB (i dont know what it stands for) SATA
SoundMAX Integrated HD Audio

this is the HD i wanted to connect :
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80 GB/ 133 HDD

hmm ... comes in handy. thx, sylwek.

1 more thing. is it possible to connect 1 SATA HD and 1 PATA HD in 1 pc? Why did my pc restarted so many times after i connected both of the HD?

Probably your BIOS was confused and couldn't decide which drive to boot from. Two master drives will do that. Also, you probably wouldn't be able to boot from the HD connected with IDE in the SATA PC because the HAL is probably not the same.

so, you're saying that the 2 types of HD can't be connected in a single pc? (SATA & PATA)

Yes they can be connected, but windows uses a hardware abstraction layer when you install to the HD. If windows is installed on your HD, then the drive put into another PC, it won't boot unless the motherboard and components are nearly identical.You will be able to use it as a slave and open files, but it won't boot because of the HAL.
In your case, the SATA drive is the only one you can boot from. It has to be master and the IDE drive has to be slave.

yes they can
normally it would be better if ur Pata be used as primary and the SATA as an extra storage. but like he said if its installed on the SAta u need to use the SATA as a primary

If both have a boot file, it won't work. Both of the drives are primary so you need to make a single drive the boot drive. You can still run two copies of windows but only one hd can boot the PC.

what a relief. thx, guys.

ok, another thing. i tried disconnecting the SATA HD and connect the PATA HD. i booted the pc but it restarted many times like usual. now, what's that suppose to mean?

It means the HAL is incorrect. The SATA drive has the correct HAL for that machine. If you want the PATA drive to boot, you will have to install windows on it while it is the primary drive in the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom