Did I configure my SATA hard drives incorrectly? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Did I configure my SATA hard drives incorrectly?

I have two SATA drives. In my Bios they are configured as RAID suggested/ATA. In my Device Manager they are listed under IDE/ATAPI controllers as primary and secondary IDE drives after my two Intel ICH9R SATA controllers The drivers for the device are Microsoft IDE drivers. I would like my SATA drives configured properly with the SATA drivers to the full benefit. When I tried to Install the Matrix Storage Manager I got a "system doesn't meet the minimum requirements" error. When I installed XP I used a service pack two slip streamed disk and did not do an F6 driver install. How do properly install the drivers for my drives? Would the configuration I have right now cause audio to stream incorrectly from the hard drives? Thanks

I am running xp Pro Gold service pack 3.
I have a Dell XPS 420, 2.4 ghz Q6600, 1066 FSB, 4 gigs Ram at 800.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: Did I configure my SATA hard drives incorrectly?

You don't need to install drivers unless it specifically asks for them at OS setup.

Is everything working as is? If it is, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No, it isn't. I am wondering if since the drives show as ATA am i not getting full SATA capability. I use a lot of audio files becasue it is what i need the computer for. Streaming audio is not the problem it is when i pull filled stored on the hard drive. They stop and have to buffer a lot. They shouldnt do this with my system and SATA right? any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Just do a windows update, if the chipset or sata drivers need updating it will show.

It also depends on how much your moving..
Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

already checked updates....so you or anyone doesnt think that even though my drive is really a SATA but the system has it listed as an ATA it is a problem...and it wont hinder how the system handles its performance?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
I don't overclock

on the 4 boards I have owned so far, they all default the drives as IDE mode, go into your bios and see if it is setup as IDE that will give your answer

if they are setup as IDE mode, you will need a reinstall of XP if you want to change to AHCI mode

however I highly doubt it since you have a Dell
Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I find whether I'm running 16 tracks of audio at 32 bit 96 KHZ or just a stereo mp3 file I will get an intermittent "hiccup" every 10 or 20 minutes. help. it is driving me crazy.

Closed Thread