Did I configure my SATA hard drives incorrectly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khjavy8

Beta member
I have two SATA drives. In my Bios they are configured as RAID suggested/ATA. In my Device Manager they are listed under IDE/ATAPI controllers as primary and secondary IDE drives after my two Intel ICH9R SATA controllers The drivers for the device are Microsoft IDE drivers. I would like my SATA drives configured properly with the SATA drivers to the full benefit. When I tried to Install the Matrix Storage Manager I got a "system doesn't meet the minimum requirements" error. When I installed XP I used a service pack two slip streamed disk and did not do an F6 driver install. How do properly install the drivers for my drives? Would the configuration I have right now cause audio to stream incorrectly from the hard drives? Thanks

I am running xp Pro Gold service pack 3.
I have a Dell XPS 420, 2.4 ghz Q6600, 1066 FSB, 4 gigs Ram at 800.

You don't need to install drivers unless it specifically asks for them at OS setup.

Is everything working as is? If it is, I wouldn't worry about it.

No, it isn't. I am wondering if since the drives show as ATA am i not getting full SATA capability. I use a lot of audio files becasue it is what i need the computer for. Streaming audio is not the problem it is when i pull filled stored on the hard drive. They stop and have to buffer a lot. They shouldnt do this with my system and SATA right? any thoughts?

already checked updates....so you or anyone doesnt think that even though my drive is really a SATA but the system has it listed as an ATA it is a problem...and it wont hinder how the system handles its performance?

on the 4 boards I have owned so far, they all default the drives as IDE mode, go into your bios and see if it is setup as IDE that will give your answer

if they are setup as IDE mode, you will need a reinstall of XP if you want to change to AHCI mode

however I highly doubt it since you have a Dell

I find whether I'm running 16 tracks of audio at 32 bit 96 KHZ or just a stereo mp3 file I will get an intermittent "hiccup" every 10 or 20 minutes. help. it is driving me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom