Dial up modem problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

robqx4

Baseband Member
Hi...I'm trying to help a friend out who is STILL using dial up!!
Running Win XP Pro......Anyway,........I replaced a bad motherboard...I check his internet connection at my place using a cable modem...works fine!! I hook it up at his place try to access internet with his ISP which is MSN, it tells me can not detect a modem installed...well I check the device manager and the modem is there and working properly...I even "Query" it...no problems!!
I check the network dial up connection screen and there isn't a MSN dial up icon anywhere and my friend tells me there always was one there....so I hit create new connection......connect to internet.....manually create connection.....well here's the problem....the only dot available to check is for broadband....the dial up dot is gray'd out...unavailable!! So Instead of manually doing it I let the computer pick and it gives me MSN to use...super we've come full circle....I hit ok let's use msn to get on the friggin' internet and like I said it tells me can not detect a modem installed...so it gives me a option to let use a windows wizard to find and install a modem right...well I think woo hoo!! I home free...NOPE...now windows can't detect a modem installed either....but as I said earlier it is in the device manager...working properly and "Queries" just fine....Oh by the way I went a bought and installed a brand new 56K modem just for Shits And Giggles...Installed the drivers it came with and everything still.....No Help...Same Story!! What the heck is going on??!! PLEASE HELP!! Ready to shoot something!! Thanks for your time!!
Rob

Hi Rob

Thats a wierd one for sure.Dont ya just love computers....I was wondering have you tried to disable the network sonnection for cable.And then run the dialup setup.Im not real sure if that will help but just a thought.Also sometimes when im in a pinch ill remove the modem and remove the network setup and reboot and let it find the modem by its self.Its worked for me a number of times...

thanks

You said it spaitoid!! There just so F'in wonderful sometimes!! By the way I tried exactly what you suggested already and it didn't work either.
Do you have any clue "WHY" I can't create a new connection? Why when I'm in that particular part of the wizard the option is gray'd out?
Thanks,
Rob

Hey

Im off work today ill do a little checking around and get back to ya on that...

Does cable or DSL exist where he lives? I have no sympathy for those who are on dialup when they have the choice of broadband.

Exactly Spiatoid, my friend doesn't have enough $ to afford anything better.....that's why I'm trying to help him................Anyway, thanks for your help & time.
I got the PDF file you posted.......I'll give you an update this weekend.........That's the next time i'll be over there to try and fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom