DHCP error.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JET-33

Beta member
is there any command line repairs that can be done for dhcp related issues in windows?

in a work environment ive come across 2 machines now in the last month that have had the same problem. using xp, dhcp fails on the client (on different networks as well). the pc gets the usual 'limited connectivity' error and is assigned a 169.x.x.x address.....

when on any network and booted with a linux live cd, everything works fine via dhcp...straight out of the box. put it back on xp, and a static ip, dns and default gateway entry and all works fine. switch it to dhcp and no go....

the main network it has been tested on has 2 switches and a brand new dhcp/dns server. all other machines on the network are fine and when tested in this particular room are also fine. this rules out the cable, patch point, switch, server and hardware.

the ONLY thing that remains to be the problem is xp. so, what to do next??? format, reimage, YES. done that.....same problem! im baffled....can anyone think os what the cause could possibly be? i didnt know any client dhcp repair commands so i thought reimage and away we go but no...nothing.

have you checked all settings in the image... and I take it it's only this one machine?

Edit... I re-read your post... yes it's only this one machine... which I would have to say it's something in that image... (settings, or something didn't apply,etc...) or a hardware issue.

i used the term 'image' loosely...its rebuilt from scratch, drivers reinstalled and reinstalled over again....

device manager shows the network card as OK. reinstalled again anyway. static ip and everything is ok, just doesnt want to obtain one via dhcp

I take it you also updated the network card drivers. What about wireless? can you try to connect that way, instead of hard wired? are there any hotfixes for the card in windows you need?

yeah network card drivers is what i was referring to. the pc only has 1 network port built in, no wireless.

is it possible for a hardware fault to cause a card to only work via static and not dynamic/dhcp?

Anything is possible with IT... it's all PMF anyway (Pure F.....ng Magic) but if one little tiny resistor is gone, it can cause all kinds of faults, or none...

but to be honest... since you have done pretty much everything you can do software wise... the only thing left to rule out is hardware... do you have a nic that you can throw in it, and shut off the onboard?

that will be the next step if we dont throw it in the bin and upgrade :)

just thought id check to see if there was any unknown tricks i didnt know but there doesnt seem to be....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom