DFI LP LT Heatsink UNinstallation - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default DFI LP LT Heatsink UNinstallation

Hallo,

I'm having to RMA this board and I installed the NB heatsink when I used it. But now, the thing is a pain to get off. Has anyone had to RMA or return this board? What did you do to take it off?

Thanks,
Inserity

Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

Default Re: DFI LP LT Heatsink UNinstallation

The absolute best product to take paste off is called Goo-Gone. Dissolves any glue based product instantly. You can try alcohol and slowly pry it off too.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well, the NB Heatsink had pushpins. But I finally got it off. Another issue occurred though.

I have the Xigmatek s-1283 cooler with the Crossbow retention bracket and the bracket has that mount you put on the bottom side of the mobo. Well it has some sticky stuff and left a lot of residue when I pulled it off. Can I use Goo-Gone on the back of the mobo to take it off? I thought it would short the board or something.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Triforcer

It won't short unless it's plugged in and I really hope you don't do that. Yes you can use it on the back of it fine.

Most companies realize however, that many heatsinks need a retention bracket and will take the board if it has glue on the back. If you don't feel like they would accept it then go right ahead and clean it. Doesn't hurt anything.

Goo-Gone is completely oil-based so it has no electrical conductivity. Once it's cleaned use alcohol to clean the oil off and it'll be just like new.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Oh okay sweet. I'm sending it back to Newegg for a replacement (getting an easier to use P5Q-Deluxe. The DFI was too much for my newbie mind lol) so I'm sure they'll check it. I got most of it off by peeling it.
Closed Thread