device driver stuck in an infinite loop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to Effex
Exclamation device driver stuck in an infinite loop

i get this error any time i try to play a game ever since my mobo overheated last night

since i have 2 7900GTXs in SLI im wondering if one of them has a fault with it now

so far i have:

disabled write combining
dropped hardware acceleration down a notch
changed my memory from DIMMs 1 n' 3 to 1 n' 2

i started to install forceware 78.03 since i read the 77s and 78s were really stable but it wasnt compatable so now i need to look up what the earliest-good driver is that i can use

i was trying to find the agp aperature in BIOS to turn it down to half of my cards

try disabling fast writer but i couldnt find it either

memtest my memory

and finally take out a gpu and test one at a time

anyone else have any other ideas or have some experience with this error? its driving me crazy. i just dont understand because this system was jammin and had been really stable!

Old 05-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

use one of these drivers

Old 05-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to Effex

errr, i just tried the 2nd one posted and windows wont even display. now i am trying to figure out which button to press to bring up the safe-mode option. f2, f8, f10, f12 isnt working and im tired of resetting lol
Old 05-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

AGP Aperature should be under "advanced chipset features" Then under AGP or something.

EDIT: Hold F8 down from when you first turn the computer on, and see if it comes up.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have been having this driver problem with my 7800GS and I tried every possible driver and none worked... All I could start up in was VGA drivers and the card was brand new and the Mobo was also new. Doesn't matter now though cause I am having worse problems... my AGP slot is like starting to melt when I run for over 4 or 5 minutes, but everytime I restart it comes up as if the Mobo is fine... I have a big long post about it, but if you solve this problem I would like to know because whenever I get it running again I will have to deal with this problem again. I sincerely wish you good luck.

Link to my post:
If you have any knowledge of faulty AGP slots plz take a look, I am assuming I am doomed to just replace the Mobo, but what the heck right?
Closed Thread