Detection of 2nd HDD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Detection of 2nd HDD

I have purchased used HP dv2000 micro tower PC. Its specs are 2.8Ghz, 1GB, 160GB IDE. The mother board is Lite-on nr146. This is what I have. Vista was running fine. I installed a used 80GB IDE HDD after removing processor due to very tight space, it was duly detected by the system. As I am easy with XP instead of vista, so I thought to instal XP on 2nd HDD and used 1st HDD as data storage. XP installed and working fine, but to my bad luck the system did not detected 1st HDD (160GB) even after playing with its jumpers. I presume that this problem has something to do with IDE Channels on the mother board. Any advice please!!

Old 02-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics
Default Re: Detection of 2nd HDD

did you have both hdds installed when you had vista installed? i just want to clarify that this is correct.

when you boot are both hdds detected by bios? What happens when you swap the hdds? This is known as use a known good piece of hardware for testing.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Detection of 2nd HDD

There was only a single HDD (160GB) on which vista was installed. When I installed 2nd HDD, system as well vista duly detected the drive. But when I configured 2nd HDD as master having XP it failed to detect 1st HDD. Even in BIOS it is invisible.

Sorry I could not understand what do you mean by "swap". However, one thing I have not done so far is inter-changing cable connectors of both HDD.
Closed Thread